[comp.os.minix] MINIX 1.3 login on tty1

benu@bnlux0.bnl.gov (David Hassel) (05/18/89)

I have just upgraded from Minix 1.1 to 1.3 and I would like to have a terminal
login via tty1 (COM1).  I have modified the /etc/ttys file to include:
	100
	1d1
and made the device /dev/tty1 with mknod /dev/tty1 c 5 1.  When I try to login
via tty1, I get no response.  How is the baud rate set?  When I try to kermit
out tty1 I get the error:
	Can't get character: I/O error
What am I doing wrong?  Is there something wrong with Kermit?  Why doen't login
work on tty1?

				Thanks,

					Dave Hassel
<benu@bnlux0.bnl.gov>

packman%TAMUNIX.BITNET@tamvm1.tamu.edu (Packman) (05/19/89)

>I have just upgraded from Minix 1.1 to 1.3 and I would like to have a terminal
>login via tty1 (COM1).  I have modified the /etc/ttys file to include:
>       100
>       1d1
>and made the device /dev/tty1 with mknod /dev/tty1 c 5 1.  When I try to login

Make the "1d1" a "0d1" and you'll be set. See the man page for term.

        See you
        Wally Strzelec
        <packman@tamunix.tamu.edu>

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (05/20/89)

In article <1134@bnlux0.bnl.gov> benu@bnlux0.UUCP (David Hassel) writes:
>I have just upgraded from Minix 1.1 to 1.3 and I would like to have a terminal
>login via tty1 (COM1).  I have modified the /etc/ttys file to include:
>	100
>	1d1
>and made the device /dev/tty1 with mknod /dev/tty1 c 5 1.  When I try to login
>via tty1, I get no response.  				Dave Hassel
The device tty1 should be 4 1 (not 5 1).  1d1 is OK.  The first 1
starts login running on the serial port.  See /tools/init.c for more
details.