[comp.os.minix] Info wanted: Running an amoeba sherver under UNIX

cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid) (05/21/89)

I recall vaguely that someone got a sun (or some other machine) running
UNIX to accept and handle amoeba packets. If you've done this could you
please send me more information. (eg how hard it is, may be sources).

It would be running on one of a sun3/4, encore or vax. And 4.2.

                                        Andrew Cagney
                                        Innternet: cagney@chook.ua.oz.au

worsley@ditmela.oz (Andrew Worsley) (05/22/89)

From article <386@sirius.ua.oz>, by cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid):
> I recall vaguely that someone got a sun (or some other machine) running
> UNIX to accept and handle amoeba packets. If you've done this could you
> please send me more information. (eg how hard it is, may be sources).

  I remeber Andy Tanenbaum saying he was looking into trying to provide this
  but never heard anything else. I also have just upgraded to SunOS 4.0
  and it mentions (briefly) as an enhancement the uncoupling of the ethernet
  driver so that modules that handle other protocols could be added. I
  immeadiately thought of this. Let me add please post the results of this
  to the newsgroup for the rest of us, I think there would be considerable
  interest.

	Andrew Worsley
--
Division of Information Technology (Melbourne), Phone +61 3 347 8644
C.S.I.R.O.                                      Fax  +61 3 347 8987

sater@cs.vu.nl (Hans van Staveren) (05/23/89)

In article <5324@ditmela.oz> worsley@ditmela.oz (Andrew Worsley) writes:
>From article <386@sirius.ua.oz>, by cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid):
>> I recall vaguely that someone got a sun (or some other machine) running
>> UNIX to accept and handle amoeba packets. If you've done this could you
>> please send me more information. (eg how hard it is, may be sources).
>>
>  I remeber Andy Tanenbaum saying he was looking into trying to provide this
>  but never heard anything else. I also have just upgraded to SunOS 4.0
>  and it mentions (briefly) as an enhancement the uncoupling of the ethernet
>  driver so that modules that handle other protocols could be added. I
>  immeadiately thought of this. Let me add please post the results of this
>  to the newsgroup for the rest of us, I think there would be considerable
>  interest.
>
>	Andrew Worsley
>--
>Division of Information Technology (Melbourne), Phone +61 3 347 8644
>C.S.I.R.O.                                      Fax  +61 3 347 8987
>55 Barry St.                                    Telex AA 152914
>Carlton, Vic, 3053, Australia                   E-mail: worsley@ditmela.oz.au

Aha, let me explain this in some detail.

I am Hans van Staveren, working on the Amoeba project at the VU Amsterdam,
and know quite a bit about this. Our current setup is lots of processorpool
machines talking Amoeba, some Minix PC's talking Amoeba, and almost all
our Unix hosts talking Amoeba. We did the last thing by providing a driver
for the Unix systems that implemented the Amoeba RPC mechanism.

Now on BSD 4.2 like systems, as SunOs 3.x are, you must add a case to
a switch somewhere in a file called if_subr.c. Now this is pretty hard if
you don't have source, so Sun did it for us and even gave us permission
to distribute the patched binary to other SunOs licence holders.

Anyhow, SunOS 4.0:

As you mentioned, there is a brief mention about being able to hack
foreign protocols into SunOs 4.0 without source. I happen to have seen the
source, and I can say: close, but no cigar.

It is possible to register an Ethernet protocol with the driver as in:
	"Say chap, if you happen to see a packet type 0x8145 coming
	 in, would you be so kind to call this routine for me"
and that will probably work.

Unfortunately, the routine is called with a couple of parameters, like the
interface the packet came from, the part of the packet after the Ethernet-header
and the packet length, but not including the sourceaddress of the packet.

This makes the added facility useless for our purposes. I exchanged some mail
about this with some guy from Sun. who claimed something about SunOS 4.0.3
but this is all rather vague.

So as we (up/down)grade to SunOS 4.0 I will have to change this source file
again.

	Hans van Staveren
	Vrije Universiteit
	Amsterdam, Holland

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/24/89)

In article <5324@ditmela.oz> worsley@ditmela.oz (Andrew Worsley) writes:
>From article <386@sirius.ua.oz>, by cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid):
>> I recall vaguely that someone got a sun (or some other machine) running
>> UNIX to accept and handle amoeba packets. If you've done this could you
>> please send me more information. (eg how hard it is, may be sources).
>>
>  I remeber Andy Tanenbaum saying he was looking into trying to provide this
>  but never heard anything else.

We are currently working on an Amoeba distribution tape.  We hope to have
a beta release ready by sometime in the Fall.  Anyone who is interested
should contact me then.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)