[comp.os.minix] bms-100 clock stops ticking

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (05/25/89)

Michael Stanton writes:

>The software seems to work OK but I have observed the
>following behaviour, which seems to be strange: whenever I fetch the time from
>the BMS-100 using diskrtc, I get the same value as I had previously put there
>with diskset. That is, the clock, seems to be stopped! Can you shed any
>light on this situation?

If this is also the case using the TOS software that BMS supplied I
think I can help.  If TOS can read the clock correctly when you boot
but minix cannot then disregard the following.

The BMS-100 clock can stop ticking.  It happened to me, and BMS said it
is due to contamination on the little tuning capcitor next to the crystal.
The fix is: turn the cap a few times from one end to the other, then
return it to approximately the same position as before.  Now it should
tick.  Also, be advised that the battery the keeps the time will need
to be replaced from time to time; you usually known when because the
clock forgets when you turn off the power.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com