[comp.os.minix] Minix ar compatability

vlstemen@uokmax.UUCP (Vincent Lyle Stemen) (05/19/89)

    Minix ar is incompatable with Berkley unix's ar.  I'm assuming
that it is bacause minix is using v7 standards and they must be
different than system 5.  Minix's sturcture ar_hdr uses some chars, some
ints, etc.  The Berkeley's structure uses all character arrays.  Has
anybody worked on modifying minix's ar to be compatable?  If so, could
you post it or mail it to me?
                                      Thanks.

--
--------
MSDOS --> Mutated Systems Distribution Of S...

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (05/20/89)

In article <3234@uokmax.UUCP> vlstemen@uokmax.UUCP (Vincent L. Stemen) writes:
>    Minix ar is incompatable with Berkley unix's ar.  I'm assuming
>that it is bacause minix is using v7 standards and they must be
>different than system 5.  Minix's sturcture ar_hdr uses some chars, some
>ints, etc.  The Berkeley's structure uses all character arrays.  Has
>anybody worked on modifying minix's ar to be compatable?  If so, could
>you post it or mail it to me?

First of all, I think that the Minix ar format is the same as the v7 ar
format and this is the same as the standard Berkeley ar.  What's confusing
you is that our system here, uokmax, running Encore's 4.2, is a Berkeley
system, but it uses the System V object code format (COFF).  So the "problem"
is that Minix doesn't understand SysV COFF format ar files.  I'm not sure
why this is a problem, since Minix object libraries wouldn't seem to be
much good on our 32332-based Multimax :-), and for general-purpose
file archiving you can use tar, which *is* compatible across systems.
--
Richard Todd	Fido:1:147/1     USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069
Try one of these: rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us, rmtodd@killer.dallas.tx.us,

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (05/26/89)

In article <3236@uokmax.UUCP> rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) writes:

[ hack, chop, cut, slash, delete...]

=>for general-purpose
=>file archiving you can use tar, which *is* compatible across systems.

So is zoo.  In fact, zoo is compatible across more systems than just UNIX-
derivative systems.  Has anyone successfully ported zoo to MINIX??
BTW, the current UNIX version seems to be 2.01 (my Amiga version is 2.00
though).

Theo -- good job!  Hope I can see MINIX Amiga sometime RSN (for non-Jerry-
Pournelle-fans, that's "Real Soon Now.").  Which Amiga is your host?  Mine
is a 1000.  Is your system intended to be Amiga generic, i.e., run on
all of {500, 1000, 2000, 2500}?  Is your system intended as:
1.) a KickStart replacement,
2.) a just after KickStart program, like ArcticFox, One on One, etc.,
3.) an AmigaDOS application that takes over, a la Transformer, or
4.) none of the above?

---
a-WYSIWYG, a-WYSIWIG                      _ _
a-WYSIWYG, a-WYSIWIG                     ////
a-WYSIWYG, a-WYSIWIG                    ////
a-WYSIWYG, a-WYSIWIG                   ////
In the jungle                   _ _   ////
The silicon jungle              \\\\ ////
The process sleeps tonight       \\\////
                                  \_X_/