[comp.os.minix] minix on 3.5" disks?

crmacc@ultb.UUCP (C.R. Myers) (06/18/89)

I have a Toshiba T1100plus with one 3.5" floppy and a hard disk.  I have
the v1.2 5.25" floppies.  How can I get them copied onto 3.5" disks so I
can get up and running?  MS-DOS Diskcopy refuses to copy the 5.25 to the
3.5 even if the 3.5s are formatted 40 track, 9 sector.

Thanks for your help.

C.R. Myers
Bitnet: CRMACC@RITVAX

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (06/21/89)

In article <933@ultb.UUCP> crmacc@ultb.UUCP (C.R. Myers(755ACC)) writes:
>I have a Toshiba T1100plus with one 3.5" floppy and a hard disk.  I have
>the v1.2 5.25" floppies.  How can I get them copied onto 3.5" disks so I
>can get up and running?  MS-DOS Diskcopy refuses to copy the 5.25 to the
>3.5 even if the 3.5s are formatted 40 track, 9 sector.

I copied Minix onto 3.5" floppies using Minix itself.  Use the "at" version
of the device (or mknod yourself one that will handle 720K) and use

	cp /dev/at0 /dev/at1

of course, with your hard disk and one floppy you'll need to add another
step of cp'ing to a temporary file on the hard disk and back again.

or make a filesystem and use cpdir or whatever (that will let you use the
full disk.