[comp.os.minix] SLIP and MINIX?

rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Dave Rivers) (06/15/89)

In article <336@blenheim.nsc.com> des@berlioz (Desmond Young) writes:
> In article <16698@louie.udel.EDU>, Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) writes:
> >   1) support TCP/IP (I'm not going to ask for XNS) -- i.e. ftp/telnet would
> > give it real world usefulness.  I'd be happy to discuss how to do this with
> > anyone else interested.
>
> Well....,
>   I have Phil Karn's TCP-IP (NET) package running under MINIX. But, I have
> not posted it for the following reasons:
		....  Good reasons deleted ...
>   Anyway, many thanks to Phil Karn, KA9q, and other contributors, the package
> is really great. Almost all the problems I had were MINIX, not NET. Also
> thanks to Ed Hall, he sent me the V1.0 source he had got working with SLIP
                                                                        ^^^^
> under MINIX.

	SLIP - really???!!!

	It all sounds *too* good to be true....

	A SLIP implementation would be real nice for those of us
	without an ether-net card - or to run at home for nightime mail.

	Any chance of that making it to the net???

		- Dave Rivers -
| Time Sharing is the use of     | Dave Rivers:                        |
|  many people by the computer.  |  UUCP {Backbones}!rti!dg-rtp!rivers |
|                                |  Phone: (919) 248-6137              |

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (06/20/89)

In article <7139@xyzzy.UUCP> rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Dave Rivers) writes:
>In article <336@blenheim.nsc.com> des@berlioz (Desmond Young) writes:
>>   Anyway, many thanks to Phil Karn, KA9q, and other contributors, the package
>> is really great. Almost all the problems I had were MINIX, not NET. Also
>> thanks to Ed Hall, he sent me the V1.0 source he had got working with SLIP
>> under MINIX.
>
>       . . . .
>
>	A SLIP implementation would be real nice for those of us
>	without an ether-net card - or to run at home for nightime mail.
>
>	Any chance of that making it to the net???
>
>		- Dave Rivers -

Well, unless there is more of a demand than when I last mentioned it,
I don't think that such a large (~350KB) posting is worth the cost
to the net.

However, I am willing to send anyone the NET program (sources and
binaries) along with my modifications to 1.3 MINIX to add an FIONREAD
ioctl() (any other means of implementing non-blocking I/O should work as
well).  Just send me a pre-packaged, postage-paid 1.2MB floppy, and I'll
send you just what I sent Desmond Young.  Note that this version does
NOT support anything other than SLIP, and that its support of FTP,
TELNET and SMTP is pretty basic.  That said, its TCP/IP implementation
seems quite robust; I've used it for several megabytes worth of FTP
transfers and numerous TELNET sessions without a hitch.

If you are interested, E-Mail me and I'll send you my address.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org
		..!uunet!edhall@rand.org
		..!decvax!randvax!edhall

dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) (06/23/89)

In article <2107@randvax.UUCP>, edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) writes:
> >	Any chance of that making it to the net???
> >		- Dave Rivers -
>
> However, I am willing to send anyone the NET program (sources and
> well).  Just send me a pre-packaged, postage-paid 1.2MB floppy, and I'll
> send you just what I sent Desmond Young.  Note that this version does
> NOT support anything other than SLIP, and that its support of FTP,
> TELNET and SMTP is pretty basic.  That said, its TCP/IP implementation
> seems quite robust; I've used it for several megabytes worth of FTP
> transfers and numerous TELNET sessions without a hitch.
>
> 		-Ed Hall

Ooops!  I think you're somewhat confused, Ed.  The original offer was from
Des.  That is what they were asking for.  Des took the KA9Q code and ported
it to Minix.  He got slip working months ago.  His latest version supports
Ethernet on a National Semiconductor chipset (the 3-Com board, I believe).
Des is out of town at the moment, so don't expect any replies from him.  I
don't know what this 'NET' program you refer to is, but Des' implementation
is very solid, and very complete.  He has added a lot of the standard
Berkeley commands to FTP, etc (such as mkdir, chdir, etc).  He spent a *lot*
of time fixing things in the Minix kernel, so that it would do what it is
supposed to do.  He has been running it on his own machines for a while now,
and by all accounts, it is pretty good.  Of course, the final word is his.
If you want to contact him, about distribution or whatever, try:
	des@logic.nsc.com	or 	des@musashi.UUCP

Either should work.  I think he said he'd be back next week...
						- Der

--
	dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM		(408) 946-6700 x4237
	Dermot Tynan,  Altos Computer Systems,  San Jose, CA   95134

    "Far and few, far and few, are the lands where the Jumblies live..."

edhall@rand.org (06/24/89)

In article <105@altos86.Altos.COM> dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) writes:
>In article <2107@randvax.UUCP>, edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) writes:
>> >	Any chance of that making it to the net???
>> >		- Dave Rivers -
>>
>> However, I am willing to send anyone the NET program (sources and
>> well).  Just send me a pre-packaged, postage-paid 1.2MB floppy, and I'll
>> send you just what I sent Desmond Young.  Note that this version does
>> NOT support anything other than SLIP, and that its support of FTP,
>> TELNET and SMTP is pretty basic.  That said, its TCP/IP implementation
>> seems quite robust; I've used it for several megabytes worth of FTP
>> transfers and numerous TELNET sessions without a hitch.
>>
>> 		-Ed Hall
>
>Ooops!  I think you're somewhat confused, Ed.  The original offer was from
>Des.  That is what they were asking for.  Des took the KA9Q code and ported
>it to Minix.  He got slip working months ago.  His latest version supports
>Ethernet on a National Semiconductor chipset (the 3-Com board, I believe).
>Des is out of town at the moment, so don't expect any replies from him.  I
>don't know what this 'NET' program you refer to is, but Des' implementation
>is very solid, and very complete.  He has added a lot of the standard
>Berkeley commands to FTP, etc (such as mkdir, chdir, etc).  He spent a *lot*
>of time fixing things in the Minix kernel, so that it would do what it is
>supposed to do.  He has been running it on his own machines for a while now,
>and by all accounts, it is pretty good.  Of course, the final word is his.
>If you want to contact him, about distribution or whatever, try:
>	des@logic.nsc.com	or 	des@musashi.UUCP
>
>Either should work.  I think he said he'd be back next week...
>						- Der

We are talking about variants of the same program, here.

Des did not say whether his version of NET (yup, that's what it's
called) still supports SLIP (though it may well); much of his work had
to do with getting it to function with the ethernet interface, and I
suspect that much of the modification he had to do to MINIX was
related to this as well.  My version runs SLIP--and only SLIP--with
minimal (~25 lines) modification to MINIX; I've added most of the
features you mention (chdir, etc.).

Some of us are minimalists when it comes to straying from the
``published'' version of MINIX.  This was my approach.

Des did offer, in his original posting, to send his version on a 1.2MB
floppy.  I assume that this offer still stands.  His version is no doubt
solid--probably more solid than mine, though I've yet to have any real
problems--but it is hardly ``complete'' by his own admission (you DID
read his posting, didn't you?).  The current version of Phil Karn's
NET program is about twice as big as the largest program that fits
under MINIX (that durn 64K limit).

Just so no one gets confused:  Des has added ethernet support and a
moderate amount of kernel reworking for his version of NET.  I did
just the minimum necessary to get SLIP going under MINIX, and improved
FTP and SMTP support a bit (though probably not as much as Des).
Neither Des' nor mine is near to being a complete version of NET.

In any case, a poster asked for my version, so I offered it.  Nine
people have requested it.  If any of those people would rather have
Des' version, just let me--and Des--know.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org
		..!uunet!edhall@rand.org
		..!decvax!randvax!edhall

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (06/24/89)

In article <2107@randvax.UUCP> edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) writes:
-In article <7139@xyzzy.UUCP> rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Dave Rivers) writes:
->	A SLIP implementation would be real nice for those of us
->	without an ether-net card - or to run at home for nightime mail.
->
->	Any chance of that making it to the net???
-
-Well, unless there is more of a demand than when I last mentioned it,
-I don't think that such a large (~350KB) posting is worth the cost
-to the net.
-
[Offer to put this neat stuff on a floppy if we send him a disk
in a prepaid mailer]
-
-If you are interested, E-Mail me and I'll send you my address.
-

I think that an implementation of tcp/ip for Minix is important
enough that you should post it even if it's 3.5Mb.  350K is
small compared to the 40-part postings one sees from time to
time in the sources newsgroups.  I say go for it!  Who agrees
with me?

Paul

Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

rwa@aurora (Ross Alexander) (06/26/89)

350K, if spread out over say a week or ten days, is mere bagatelle.
Yes, go ahead.
--
Ross

HELMER%SDNET.BITNET@vm1.nodak.edu (Guy Helmer) (06/26/89)

>In article <2107@randvax.UUCP> edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) writes:
>-In article <7139@xyzzy.UUCP> rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Dave Rivers) writes:
>->	A SLIP implementation would be real nice for those of us
>->	without an ether-net card - or to run at home for nightime mail.
>->
>->	Any chance of that making it to the net???
>-
>-Well, unless there is more of a demand than when I last mentioned it,
>-I don't think that such a large (~350KB) posting is worth the cost
>-to the net.
>-
>[Offer to put this neat stuff on a floppy if we send him a disk
>in a prepaid mailer]
>I think that an implementation of tcp/ip for Minix is important
>enough that you should post it even if it's 3.5Mb.  350K is
>small compared to the 40-part postings one sees from time to
>time in the sources newsgroups.  I say go for it!  Who agrees
>with me?
>
>Paul
I agree.  I definitely want this.  Please do post it.

-- Guy Helmer                    BITNET: HELMER@SDNET
   Dakota State College          AT&T: (605) 256-5315
   Madison, SD  57042

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (06/29/89)

From article <647@aurora.AthabascaU.CA>, by rwa@aurora (Ross Alexander):
> 350K, if spread out over say a week or ten days, is mere bagatelle.
> Yes, go ahead.
> --
Sure! Go ahead! By the way, it should be more-or-less easy convertible to
UNIX? What's your opinion, guys? (Well, I mean, it's easier at least, than
to re-write the whole damn thing from scratch...).

Uri.