[comp.os.minix] ST RS232 Kernel problems

kas@qfdts.OZ (Kas Sommers) (06/26/89)

[ I am posting this for a friend unfortunate enough not to
have direct access to news.  Please don't get the impression
that _I_ have an Atari :-) ... Kas ]

Having just bought Minix 1.1 For atari ST from the US ( Prentice hall AUS said
they didnt keep that _book_ here :-)). I quickly applied the patches (with
patch (thoughtfully not provided in the distribution :-)) ported from the amiga
fish disk version (thanks mike)) for RS232 10 sector disks ptrace etc and made
the new kernel. Before and  After applying the subsequent fix to this patch.
Some problems quickly appeared.

1. Attatching another computer running a terminal emulator to the ST serial port
   and changing /etc/ttys putting a second line reading 101

I attempted a login....
Only garbage echoed from minix
Removing the IOCTL lines from login.c and recompiling this program allows me to
login but with no echo. mind you this also has the effect of showing the passwd
entry on the console at login (everything goes ok till the IOCTL)

cat file >/dev/tty1  results in a listing not well aligned vertically and the
last X ( I think probably 256 chars ) missing

ls -la
from the terminal in a large directory ( /usr/src/kernel )
shows a badly Vert aligned list with the last part of the listing missing
I tend to think the buffer flushing is broken somewhere.

2.  cat file >/dev/fd0  is broken  ( Disk I/O error )
    tos -r /dev/fd0 file      fails also

    cat file >/dev/rfd0      works

HELP !! HELP !! HELP!!
Has anyone else encountered these problems with the RS232/disk Patch
what have I done wrong ????

PS Patch barfed in a few places and I had to manage those patches by hand but
all the files would appear OK now.
compiled with
HAVEDISKROOT
HAVERS232
HAVENEWDISK

or whatever they are :-)
root file system on /dev/hd3 work great at least
I have an ST with 2.5MB and a Megafile 60 hard disk if it matters
This mailbox is shared so please put my name in any messages .

Bob lunnon

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (06/29/89)

In article <2015@qfdts.OZ>, kas@qfdts.OZ (Kas Sommers) writes:

> 1. Attatching another computer running a terminal emulator to the ST serial port
>    and changing /etc/ttys putting a second line reading 101
>
> I attempted a login....
> Only garbage echoed from minix
> Removing the IOCTL lines from login.c and recompiling this program allows me to
>
> cat file >/dev/tty1  results in a listing not well aligned vertically and the
> last X ( I think probably 256 chars ) missing
>

> 2.  cat file >/dev/fd0  is broken  ( Disk I/O error )
>     tos -r /dev/fd0 file      fails also
>
>     cat file >/dev/rfd0      works
from the author of the changes:
1. looks like you have both old files and incomplete ones.
yes, login.c was changed.  dont thro out the ioctl, add ispeed=ospeed=B2400
or  whatever you are using.

2. there are problems with the speed being changed to 0 (B19200) at unexpected
times because there are programs that need to be relinked with the new ioctl
for libc.

3. there are speed problems above 4800 baud.  MINIX turns the interrupt off
for too long in places and a character gets lost.  should mess up listings
somewhat.
4. the improvement to floppy disk has a bug in the RDAFTERWT code.
change the buffer size to 512.  OR turn off that feature (it is local
to the stfloppy.c file.
5. cat>/dev/tty1 is probably a buffer overrun on the receiving side.
You may have inadvertently turned off xoff.xon at the driver level.

Finally.  These changes make a LARGE kernel.  strange things happen
with the 4 different versions of cv that are out there.
1. original cv.  it just silently breaks things as kernel grows.
2. fixed cv.  Noisily breaks things.
3. refixed cv.  just broken
4. latest cv, with source:  USE IT.

Howard C. Johnson