[comp.os.minix] Minix version ???

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) (06/28/89)

	I have the minix reference sheet that was posted here a while ago and
I have been following the thread for a few weeks.  One question: someone
apparently commented that the minix sold by Prentice Hall is not the latest
version.  Is this true?  If so, when will they be selling the newest version
(1.3... or is there a 1.4?)

Thanks.

WARNING!! the opinions expressed above can be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!

disclaimer:  blame --> /dev/null

Gary Gray - inet ggray@wpi.wpi.edu - bitnet ggray@wpi.bitnet - GEnie G.GRAY6

JLOUIE%ERENJ.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (James Louie) (06/29/89)

I ordered MINIX-PC a few weeks ago and got version 1.2 in the mail. Calls
to customer service at Prentice-Hall were of no help.  They couldn't find
a listing for ver. 1.3.  I happened to get the latest BYTE issue that day in
the mail and saw an ad for ver. 1.3.  I mailed the disks back with a copy
of the ad asking for an exchange.  We'll see what happens.

                                        James Louie
                                        EXXON Research & Engineering
                                        P.O. Box 101
                                        Florham Park, NJ 07932
                                        (201) 765-1273

herky@violet.berkeley.edu (George R. Nace) (06/30/89)

In article <18730@louie.udel.EDU> JLOUIE%ERENJ.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (James Louie) writes:
>I ordered MINIX-PC a few weeks ago and got version 1.2 in the mail. Calls
>to customer service at Prentice-Hall were of no help.  They couldn't find
>a listing for ver. 1.3.  I happened to get the latest BYTE issue that day in
>the mail and saw an ad for ver. 1.3.  I mailed the disks back with a copy
>of the ad asking for an exchange.  We'll see what happens.
>
>                                        James Louie
>                                        EXXON Research & Engineering

I have noticed several messages similar to this in recent postings. I have
a different experience: I ordered MINIX-PC/XT/AT from Prentice-Hall by
phone in mid-May. I received MINIX 1.3 PC/XT/AT 640K version by UPS two
weeks later. The disks were included in a slant-ring binder with the MINIX
REFERENCE MANUAL (not the DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION) and the ISBN number is
0-13-584426-6 (for the binder/disk package) and 0-13-584400-2 (for the
REFERENCE MANUAL.)

Hope this helps,
George R. Nace   (herky@violet.berkeley.edu)

LANCER%GACVAX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lance A. Brown) (07/06/89)

Hi all:
        I too received the 1.2 version, but cannot afford to wait for PH to
get its act together! so I will just apply the 1.2->1.3 patches when I get
back to school this fall... :-)

Lance Brown
LANCER@GACVAX1.BITNET