[comp.os.minix] nroff wanted

U5569462@ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au (DAVID CLUNIE) (07/09/89)

Does anyone know of a freely available version of nroff with source code? I do
not run under Unix, but am constantly porting Unix source code form
comp.sources.unix, etc., to MSDOS and VAX/VMS, but can never read the manuals !

They always seem to be distributed in n/troff format, usually requiring not
only the ms macros but also pic and tbl as well ! Needless to say this drives
me nuts, trying to read them manually !

Anyone out there know who to save my sanity ?

Regards ... David

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) (07/10/89)

David,

Allen Holub's nroff package has been ported to minix (I believe).  The
diffs were posted a while ago.  I've used this on Ms/Dos and it works
reasonably well.

Let me know what you find out about pic -- my sun386i and sun/4 doesn't
have it (I'm surprised).  I haven't yet figured out what to do with pic'ed
documents except run them on machines that have pic.

Keep us posted.

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:  hplabs!arisia!leisner

wnp@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/11/89)

In article <19380@louie.udel.EDU> Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) writes:
>Let me know what you find out about pic -- my sun386i and sun/4 doesn't
>have it (I'm surprised).

Unless your machine has DWB 2.0 (which is NOT a part of the standard UNIX
distribution), you won't have pic.

>I haven't yet figured out what to do with pic'ed
>documents except run them on machines that have pic.

Learn the language and manually (with a pen) follow the instructions. Then
paste your creation into space left in your troff'ed document.
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".