[comp.os.minix] Buying Minix and getting V1.2

owens@sunybcs.uucp (William Owens) (07/12/89)

   I've heard more and more good things about Minix, so I've finally decided
to buy it. However, I've also heard bad things about not getting V1.3 when you
order from Prentice-Hall. I have a Zenith Z-286 (AT compat.) with a Miniscribe
8438 and a new WD controller. I also have a single 3.5" drive. I can copy
5.25" to 3.5", but I don't know if I can install 1.2 from 3.5" disks.
Any enlightenment (or ways to get 1.3 from P-H :) is very welcome. Also
welcome is the FTP site address for the protected mode stuff (assuming, of
course, that I can get the plain distribution going).

                                          Thanks,
                                           Bill.

owens@cs.buffalo.edu

Bill Owens                                 opsowens@marvin.cs.buffalo.edu
                                           opnowens@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
 You rotten Norman swine you...look, my knees 'ave dropped! - Bluebottle

herky@violet.berkeley.edu (George R. Nace) (07/13/89)

In article <7871@cs.Buffalo.EDU> owens@sunybcs.UUCP (William Owens) writes:

>   I've heard more and more good things about Minix, so I've finally decided
>to buy it. However, I've also heard bad things about not getting V1.3 when you
>order from Prentice-Hall. I have a Zenith Z-286 (AT compat.) with a Miniscribe
>8438 and a new WD controller. I also have a single 3.5" drive. I can copy
>5.25" to 3.5", but I don't know if I can install 1.2 from 3.5" disks.
>Any enlightenment (or ways to get 1.3 from P-H :) is very welcome. Also
>welcome is the FTP site address for the protected mode stuff (assuming, of
>course, that I can get the plain distribution going).
>
>                                          Thanks,
>                                           Bill.
>
>owens@cs.buffalo.edu
>
>Bill Owens                                 opsowens@marvin.cs.buffalo.edu

I have seen several postings regarding the difficulty of getting the
latest version of MINIX when ordering from P-H. I received V1.3 when
I ordered in May - and I received it within two weeks of ordering. You
should have success in receiving the latest version if you order it
by the ISBN number as that is unique for each different version. These
are the ISBN numbers for V1.3 (PC) and the latest versions available
for the AT and Atari ST:

IBM PC    - ISBN 58442-6
IBM PC-AT - ISBN 58441-8
ATARI ST  - ISBN 58439-2
Reference Manual - ISBN 58440-0

The IBM versions come with a reference manual included at a price
of $116.00 for software and manual, the ST version has software
only for $79.95 and a separate reference manual for $28.00. If ordering
by mail and paying by check you should add state sales tax, but P-H
pays shipping and handling. You can order by phone at (201) 767-5937,
by FAX at (201) 592-2785, or by mail at:

Prentice Hall
Book Distribution Center
Route 59 at Brook Hill Drive
West Nyack, NY 10995

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (07/13/89)

Can you still buy the source code without the manual in one package since
I already have the manual and don't want to buy another copy?