[comp.os.minix] Default passwords

wacey@paul.rutgers.edu ( ) (06/29/89)

Could someone please send me the defulat passwords for the ast and
root accounts for MINIX V1.1. My copy of the book is in a different
state right now. Thanks for any help.

Iain Wacey

jnall%FSU.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) (06/30/89)

Iain Wacey writes:
>  Could someone please send me the defulat (sic) passwords for the
>  ast and root accounts for MinixINIX 1.1. ...

This issue has come up before, and the general concensus of the net seemed
to be that someone only (legally) obtains the software by buying
the book (or the manual), and that anyone without with book (or
manual) has to be suspect.  Therefore, although it obviously is
going to be unfair to some, the passwords should NOT be sent out..

John Nall

roberto@cwi.nl (Rob ten Kroode) (06/30/89)

In article <18774@louie.udel.EDU> jnall%FSU.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) writes:
>Iain Wacey writes:
>>  Could someone please send me the defulat (sic) passwords for the
>>  ast and root accounts for MinixINIX 1.1. ...
>
>This issue has come up before, and the general concensus of the net seemed
>to be that someone only (legally) obtains the software by buying
>the book (or the manual), and that anyone without with book (or
>manual) has to be suspect.  Therefore, although it obviously is
>going to be unfair to some, the passwords should NOT be sent out..

This is definitely not true! You can buy "The Book" without buying the software
and you can buy the book without buying The Book (and there are rumours that
there are people who buy both...:-)). So obviously it is possible to actually
buy MINIX without knowing the passwords. Besides, you are allowed to make a few
copies. This means that someone can obtain a legal version of MINIX without
buying the disks!

And now back to the original question:
Login: root
Password: Geheim

(Well, this was the password two years ago...)

Rob.
--

Rob ten Kroode (roberto@cwi.nl)   |         Don't read this !!

"When they said 'sit down' I stood up",  Growing up - Bruce Springsteen

dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) (07/01/89)

In article <18774@louie.udel.EDU>, jnall%FSU.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (John Nall 904-644-5241) writes:
> Iain Wacey writes:
> >  Could someone please send me the defulat (sic) passwords for the
> >  ast and root accounts for MinixINIX 1.1. ...
>
> This issue has come up before, and the general concensus of the net seemed
> to be that someone only (legally) obtains the software by buying
> the book (or the manual), and that anyone without with book (or
> manual) has to be suspect.
>
> John Nall

This is codswallop!!!
There is no such consensus.  The reason AST doesn't make the password available
is so he can sell more books.  This is reasonable (almost :).

Prentice-Hall offers the disks by themselves, or with the book.  Seeing as
some of us consider ourselves overburdened with OS books, we buy just the
disks (that's what I did!).  Why should we now have to buy the book just for
the root password.  I ended up reading the disk a block at a time, under
MS-DOS, until I found the password file, and then modified the 'root' entry.
This is not something I would recommend.

Furthermore, there is a comment (somewhere) that says you can make limited
copies of the disk set.  Perhaps the original poster has such a 'limited'
copy.

I can't think of the password offhand, but if you don't put the user disk in,
when prompted, it will fork a shell, and you can change the password.  Just
remember to copy the password file (/etc/passwd) to the root floppy!!
I'm sure this will help more than Mr. Nalls' comment!
						- Der
--
	dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM		(408) 946-6700 x4237
	Dermot Tynan,  Altos Computer Systems,  San Jose, CA   95134

    "Far and few, far and few, are the lands where the Jumblies live..."

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (07/02/89)

Another little side note about passwords, if you buy the distribution from
P-H, there's no little note or users' manual, all of that is in the text or
maybe the reference manual (don't know, I know it has the source and
cross reference listing, but I don't know about the chapters on installation).

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu (John Nall) (07/03/89)

There seems to be some disagreement to my statement that "the concensus
of the net on this previously was that passwords not be sent out".  The
last time someone asked the question, I was the one who answered with the
password, and promptly got flamed.  NOW I get flamed for taking the other
side.  Oh well, such is life....

There seems to be three arguments presented against my position:

1.  KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO BREAK IT ANYWAY.
2.  YOU CAN BUY THE SOURCE BUT NOT GET ANY DOCUMENTATION.
3.  THE BOOK SAYS YOU CAN MAKE A LIMITED NUMBER OF COPIES FOR FRIENDS.

The first one has interesting implications ("Dear Mr. Bank President: Let
me explain to you why you should publish the combination to your vault...")
but I don't buy it.

On the second one:  Really?  Places sell the source, but do not have any
documentation?  I know a place like that in Miami, which sells MicroSoft C
for $20 if you bring your own disks.  Are these authorized dealers?  If so,
please enlighten the rest of us with names, address, prices.  Perhaps it
offers an alternative to P-H.

The third one is not a bad argument, but why not get the password and other
information from the person from whom you received the software?  It would
seem to me this is the very privilege we want to keep from being abused.

Anyway...I'll say no more on the subject.  P-H and ast can defind themselves
without my help.  (But out of curiousity -- where are the people who got
after me when I sent out the password???)

John Nall
Computer Science Dept
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL

LANCER%GACVAX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lance A. Brown) (07/06/89)

HI all:

        I have a brand new, just out of the wrapper copy of the Book in front
of me.

login: root
Password: Geheim

login: ast
Password: Wachtwoord

There they are, have fun.

Lance Brown

martini@netmbx.uucp (Martin Ibert) (07/06/89)

Passwords for Minix ST 1.1:

user	password

ast	Wachtwoord
root	Geheim

(if you have the root password, you don't actually _need_ the ast password,
right?)

The passwords given above are the same as in the Book itself.

Greetings,

 \\   .    Martin P Ibert, Westendallee 100 d, 1000 Berlin 19, West Germany  //
 || |\ /|  E-mail: martini@netmbx.UUCP, ...!unido!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!martini  ||
 || | | |  ----------------------------------------------------------------  ||
 //        "If all else fails, read the documentation!" -- (author unknown)  \\

dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM (Dermot Tynan) (07/15/89)

In article <187@loligo.cc.fsu.edu>, nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:

> 1.  KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO BREAK IT ANYWAY.
> 2.  YOU CAN BUY THE SOURCE BUT NOT GET ANY DOCUMENTATION.
> 3.  THE BOOK SAYS YOU CAN MAKE A LIMITED NUMBER OF COPIES FOR FRIENDS.
>
> The first one has interesting implications ("Dear Mr. Bank President: Let
> me explain to you why you should publish the combination to your vault...")
> but I don't buy it.

This is an unfair analogy.  What if said president left the vault out on
the street, with no rear wall.  Is it worth his time to mess around with
combinations?  The point here, is it's not that hard to leave out the /usr
disk, and get a shell.  I could give you quite a few references to good
articles on some security mailing lists of the form "Security by Obscurity
is no solution."
Furthermore, when Andy gave a lecture at Computer Literacy here, in Sunnyvale
(I wasn't there - this is second-hand), someone asked why the *only*
documentation on the "disks-only" package, was a little note about three
inches by four inches, stuck to the boot disk.  Andy smiled, and replied
that he wanted to sell books (any comment, Andy??).  I'm not criticizing
that perspective, I think it's rather amusing.  However, parlaying that
into "secret password fascism" is something else.  While I can't speak for
Mr Tanenbaum, I'm sure that wasn't his intention.

> On the second one:  Really?  Places sell the source, but do not have any
> documentation?  I know a place like that in Miami, which sells MicroSoft C
> for $20 if you bring your own disks.  Are these authorized dealers?  If so,
> please enlighten the rest of us with names, address, prices.  Perhaps it
> offers an alternative to P-H.

In point of fact, P-H does (or at least used to) sell the disks only.
When I first heard of Minix, the ad said buy the disks by themselves for
~$80.00 or with an "OS" book for ~$120.  Seeing as I have an overabundance
of OS books, and one more might result in a divorce, I sent an official
PO from my client at the time, to Prentice Hall.  I received a parcel
from P-H (not some fly-by-night disk-copy place), which had nothing more
than nine disks in a cute plastic box.  That's it!  At the time, I didn't
know Comp-Lit were selling the package and the book, and was thus
infuriated by the idea of waiting another three-four weeks for the book,
so I donned by hackers hat...

> The third one is not a bad argument, but why not get the password and other
> information from the person from whom you received the software?  It would
> seem to me this is the very privilege we want to keep from being abused.

I think the argument here, is that copy-protection (or in this case,
password/copy-protection) is rather misplaced, on a product that has such
a refreshing view of the end-user market.

> (But out of curiousity -- where are the people who got
> after me when I sent out the password???)
>
> John Nall

I would suggest that you dig through your mail archives, find their
names, and send them "mail from Hell".  Feel free to quote me.
						- Der