[comp.os.minix] Help using 'build' on a 1 floppy system

LANCER%GACVAX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lance A. Brown) (07/08/89)

        HELP!!!!

        I have a slight problem. :-)   After finding out that MINIX won't talk
to my hard drive (any partition) I decided to switch from the at_wini.c to
xt_wini.c.  I recompiled the kernel using xt_wini.c and have now run into
a problem.

        I have an AT compatible machine with one 1.2M floppy and a 20Meg hard
drive.  The floppy is A: and the hard disk is C:.  My problem is that the
book seems to imply I need to either be able to use my hard drive or a
second floppy when I run build to make the boot image.  What can I
do with the setup I have?

        Thanks in advance,
        Lance Brown

        Lancer@GacVax1.BitNet

LANCER%GACVAX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lance A. Brown) (07/08/89)

        Hi, me again.

        After further tinkering I now have a boot image residing on my
TOOLS diskette in the /tools directory.   I still have no clue as to how I can
get this onto a floppy so I can boot it.

        Thanks in advance for any help.

  Lance Brown

tina@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Yang Yuting) (07/10/89)

In article <19238@louie.udel.EDU> LANCER%GACVAX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:

>        I have an AT compatible machine with one 1.2M floppy and a 20Meg hard
>drive.  The floppy is A: and the hard disk is C:.  My problem is that the
>book seems to imply I need to either be able to use my hard drive or a
>second floppy when I run build to make the boot image.  What can I
>do with the setup I have?

I've built a bootable minix diskette out of the same system setting as yours.
What I did was to make a new minix file system on a hard disk partition,
copy operating system source code to it, compile the source code under direc_
tory fs,mm,kernel,etc. individually with the flage -Di8088 on, then run
build command simply join the six programs(bootblok,kernel,mm,fs,init,fsck)
together, output the image to floppy drive.

I do find having a hard disk partition working is crucial, but there is no
demand placed on a second floppy drive.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

LANCER%GACVAX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lance A. Brown) (07/15/89)

        Thanks for the info.

        Now on a related note, has anyone had problems using mkfs on a hard
disk partition that has been marked as "Extended DOS Partition" using the FDISK
program, and how does one go about making more than two partitions on one hard
disk using the DOS fdisk, or do I have to use the minix fdisk?

        Thanks, Lacne Brown

tina@comp.vuw.ac.nz (tina) (07/19/89)

In article <19783@louie.udel.EDU> LANCER%GACVAX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:
> and how does one go about making more than two partitions on one hard
>disk using the DOS fdisk, or do I have to use the minix fdisk?

Yes, you need to use minix fdisk.