[comp.os.minix] Floating Point

ast@botter.UUCP (04/12/87)

The MINIX C compiler correctly handles floating point.  It compiles code
for floating point arithmetic into calls to library routines.  At present
these routines just print something like "Floating pt not implemented".
To add floating point, somebody (not me) would have to write a set of floating
point routines.  It shouldn't be that hard, but I haven't used a number
larger than 255 in years.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

ed360463@cisunx.UUCP (wartell m) (04/15/87)

Fred Fish (fnf@mcdsun.UUCP) has recently posted a "Portable
Math Library" to net.sources (or is it comp.sources?).

It looks like a very complete implementation, and should
be easy porting to MINIX for anyone interested.

If someone wants it and is not able to get net.sources,
or the Math Library didn't make it to your site, send me
mail; I have a copy squirreled away.
: "Home is where you wear your hat."                             matt wartell :
:                  -- E. Lizardo                     university of pittsburgh :
:                                                        pitt!cisunx!ed360463 :

pg@tnoibbc.UUCP (Paul Giovanni) (01/18/89)

How can I compile a programm which is using floating points under minix st ??????

		great thanks from
			Paul Giovanini

PAS03%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Stefan Grefen) (03/14/89)

There is a Public Domain floating point lib avaible from GNU.
(I think it's called gnuflib).
It's on archive-server@ssyx.ucsc.edu.

Stefan

#include <disclaimer.std>     Stefan Grefen
                              PAS03@DMSWWU1A.BITNET
Acknowledge-To: <PAS03@DMSWWU1A>

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (03/15/89)

In article <10824@louie.udel.EDU>, PAS03%DMSWWU1A (Stefan Grefen) writes:
>There is a Public Domain floating point lib avaible from GNU.
>(I think it's called gnuflib).

Please use the floating point library that is distributed with minix-gcc
or st-TOS-gcc instead. They started off with gnulib.c (which is avail
on ssyx) and fixed many problems, and added a lot more functionality.
Also, available in the gcc distribution are slightly higher level functions,
(ldexp, modf, atof etc etc), and a portable math lib.
usenet: {decvax,sun}!cwjcc!dsrgsun!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
arpa:        bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
compuServe:  71515,155

rheffel@cs2.wsu.edu (07/19/89)

This topic is discussed in BYTE magazine SEPT 1988 on page 313.
Take a look and if you implement it, please post it to the net.