[comp.os.minix] bugs.nosc.mil and Bruce Evans Kernel

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (07/14/89)

I talked with somebody about why Evans' 286 kernel upgrade patches aren't
there and the reason is simple.  There's no space for it (or that's the
explanation I got which made sense to me at the time).  From what I have
heard, bugs is redlining it on space in the Minix archives.

Also, a note to you people still running 1.1 and 1.2, UPGRADE already!  1.3
has proven itself to be reliable to me time and time again except with its
idiosyncratic quirks with non-WD compatable hard drive controllers and huge
file systems.  I plan on getting to the bottom of the huge file system problem
by the time I invest in a 42 Mb half-height drive by the end of summer.  Those
replies on the problem and possible solutions are helping, so keep 'em coming!
When I find the final solution, I will post it here for everybody.

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (07/20/89)

In article <4610@crash.cts.com>, jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
> Also, a note to you people still running 1.1 and 1.2, UPGRADE already!  1.3
> has proven itself to be reliable to me time and time again except with its
> idiosyncratic quirks with non-WD compatable hard drive controllers and huge
> file systems.
>
>   * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
>   * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
>   * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca

Catch 22. I have Minix 1.2 but it doesn't work with my 10Meg ST213 disks.
I only have 1 floppy drive. Neither at_wini nor xt_wini work with my HD.
bios_wini seemed to need alot of stuff from Minix 1.3 (which I don't have).
(For a short time I had a 2nd floppy to test some stuff, now I don't).

So, I can't seem to go anywhere. :-(

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysV/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek