[comp.os.minix] vi under minix + shell compatibility question

Steve_Cobrin.SBDERX@xerox.com (07/21/89)

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix

In article <3548@altos86.Altos.COM>, Dermot Tynan
<dtynan@altos86.altos.com> writes:
> Bill Joy used 'ed' to develop 'ex' (which later became 'vi'),
> and used the bourne shell (/bin/sh) to develop his C-shell.

Its my understanding that Bill based his shell on the original version 6
shell (thats System II version 7), which used to have goto's and all sorts
of
stuff which still survive in the current csh. Back in my version 7 days on
pdp-11's they had just changed the default shell to be the Bourne Shell
(bsh)
renaming it 'sh', and the old shell was renamed 'osh'

Stephen Bourne rewrote the shell for AT&T after completing his work on the
Cambridge (in England) Algol 68C compiler. Which is why it has if .. fi's
and
case .. esac's, apparently the code for it uses macros and stuff to make it
look like Algol68! (Now there's a real programming language)

I understand that with System V version 4.0, that they're supposed to be
combining the functionality of the Bourn Shell the C-Shell and the Korn
shells.

Has anyone ever drawn up a compatibility list between the various shells
and the current version of the minix shell?

   --	Steve

uucp address:	..!uunet!xerox.com!cobrin.sbderx
Arpa address:	cobrin.sbderx@Xerox.COM
Xerox address:	Cobrin:SBD-E:RX

| Rank Xerox,                              |