[comp.os.minix] FP libraries

dal@syntel.UUCP (Dale Schumacher) (07/21/89)

In article <13470@ea.ecn.purdue.edu>, housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) writes:
> In article <19965@louie.udel.EDU>, APEARSON@WAYNEST1.BITNET (Patrick Haggood) writes:
> >I have the need to produce programs requiring floating point under
> >minix.  Is there a floating point library for the ACK compiler, or,
> >is there another compiler available under minix?
>
> 	Wait another week or two... I have a floating point kit for
> Minix-PC that is mostly done and ready to post.
>
> 	The elementary functions library is currently very sparse, but
> the basis for something bigger is there.

Has anyone looked into making use of the publically released LIBM from
4.2 BSD?  With the basic FP support in place, it would seem to be a
very good source for code to complete the package.

PS.  Peter, where do you find the time to do all this code!

\\   /  Dale Schumacher                         399 Beacon Ave.
 \\ /   (alias: Dalnefre')                      St. Paul, MN  55104-3527
  ><    ...umn-cs!midgard.mn.org!syntel!dal     United States of America
 / \\   "What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
/   \\  which is the exact opposite." -Bertrand Russell

housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) (07/21/89)

In article <062089A1778@syntel.UUCP>, dal@syntel (Dale Schumacher) writes:
>In article <13470@ea.ecn.purdue.edu>, housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) writes:
>> 	Wait another week or two... I have a floating point kit for
>> Minix-PC that is mostly done and ready to post.
>>
>> 	The elementary functions library is currently very sparse, but
>> the basis for something bigger is there.
>Has anyone looked into making use of the publically released LIBM from
>4.2 BSD?  With the basic FP support in place, it would seem to be a
>very good source for code to complete the package.

	See my recent lament in comp.lang.c. Basically it is truly
wonderful numerically, but very tricky to understand or port,
especially if you're not a numerical analyst. Anyone who wants to try
porting it is encouraged to, but I'd rather write my own (at the
expense of some loss of accuracy). I'm reusing all of the
redistributable BSD code that will work, but libm isn't in that set (yet).

>PS.  Peter, where do you find the time to do all this code!

	No social life! (Even for an engineering student :-)

-Peter S. Housel-	housel@ecn.purdue.edu		...!pur-ee!housel