[comp.os.minix] Space at Bugs.nosc.mil

Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca (07/19/89)

> From: jca@PNET01.CTS.COM
> Subject: bugs.nosc.mil and Bruce Evans Kernel
>
> I talked with somebody about why Evans' 286 kernel upgrade patches aren't
> there and the reason is simple.  There's no space for it (or that's the
> explanation I got which made sense to me at the time).  From what I have
> heard, bugs is redlining it on space in the Minix archives.

   This being the case, it makes sense to me that we should
urge the good folks at Bugs to (best case) dump to a tar tape
or if necessary delete large parts of the pre 1.3 files in the
archive to get them back some space. There are a few cases in the
subject listing (the extended EMS code in 420@uvicctr.uucp is
one and the SVC system is another off the top of my head) that
it would be nice to keep, but a lot of the rest (especially with
the 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3 upgrade kit which is how I upgraded!) seems
to me to be no longer required. What do other people think?
     In any case I would like to thank the folks at Bugs.nosc.mil
who maintain the archive, your doing a super job.

jk0@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Jason Coughlin) (07/19/89)

From article <20001@louie.udel.EDU>, by Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca:
> the 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3 upgrade kit which is how I upgraded!) seems
> to me to be no longer required. What do other people think?
>      In any case I would like to thank the folks at Bugs.nosc.mil
> who maintain the archive, your doing a super job.

	I wouldn't take the 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3 upgrade stuff yet.  There
are still a lot of people who haven't made the change yet.  However, I
think the mgr stuff might be a likely candidate and especially a lot of
the OLD articles (articles on bugs in 1.1, remember that version? :-).

	I'd like to see Bruce's work make it to bugs because I missed it, and
I want it.

	Again, thanks Vince Broman for doing an excellent job at bugs.

Jason Coughlin
( jk0@sun.soe.clarkson.edu , jk0@clutx )

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (07/21/89)

From article <20001@louie.udel.EDU>, by Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca:
> the 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3 upgrade kit which is how I upgraded!) seems
> to me to be no longer required. What do other people think?

Read the news from this past month; there are still a lot of people out
there holding 1.1 and 1.2.  Those need to stay.

I hate to pat myself on the back in public, but I too run an archive on
vm1.nodak.edu (aka ndsuvm1 on Bitnet).  We have a mail-based server
(LISTSERV) running, too.  LISTSERV does an automatic archival of MINIX-L,
and I maintain a file-by-file archive of "Important" stuff.  Bruce's 80286
stuff is there.

It's IBM Big Iron, but it does the job.  We have some problems, but who
doesn't?

See the Minix Information Sheet for info on mail access and all the other
archive sites out there.
--
		Glen Overby	<ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)

broman@schroeder.nosc.mil (Vincent Broman) (07/22/89)

Bugs.nosc.mil has been pruned slightly and the Evans code
is now available.  When I get back from travel I will try to bring
more things back online that are offloaded now.

Vincent Broman,  code 632, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
Phone: +1 619 553 1641    Internet: broman@nosc.mil   Uucp: sdcsvax!nosc!broman

Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca (07/22/89)

I was obviously not clear in my original suggestion, I wasn't suggesting
removing the upgrade kits from Bugs, but rather suggesting that the duplicate
information (ie. several copies of interrum postings from AST for the 1.2
and 1.3 upgrades) and the various fixes and problems from the early days
in both the articles and articles.ast directories could be removed to gain
space with no loss to anyone due to the availibility of the upgrade kits.
My point is that there are some articles in there which have not made it
into mainstream minix (the expanded ems mods and svc are two) that it would
be nice (but possibly too much work!) to preserve.
      As well a note of thanks to Glenn Overby at ndsuvm1 is in order for the
excellent  archive/listserv service for the Bitnet part of the world.
The listserv at ndsuvm1 is in fact how I get this news group and how
I used to get updates for Minix before we got FTP access here.
Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca