[comp.os.minix] C compilers

APEARSON%WAYNEST1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Patrick Haggood) (07/18/89)

I have the need to produce programs requiring floating point under
minix.  Is there a floating point library for the ACK compiler, or,
is there another compiler available under minix?

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) (07/18/89)

My best advice is to cross-compile and use another compiler's math library.

I understand small-C had a bizarre mechanism to encapsulate floating point
in function calls...  I'd hate to see Minix adopt something like this.

For all practically purposes, you can implememnt floating point data types
as character arrays or structures or something.

Is floating point going to be included in future Minix releases?  Or do we
wait for gcc on the 386?

[BTW -- ast makes an excellent point about how much you can accomplish
without floating point -- i.e. all of Minix.  I've seen too many programs
use floating point unnecessarily].

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:  hplabs!arisia!leisner

housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) (07/19/89)

In article <19965@louie.udel.EDU>, APEARSON@WAYNEST1.BITNET (Patrick Haggood) writes:
>I have the need to produce programs requiring floating point under
>minix.  Is there a floating point library for the ACK compiler, or,
>is there another compiler available under minix?

	Wait another week or two... I have a floating point kit for
Minix-PC that is mostly done and ready to post.

	The elementary functions library is currently very sparse, but
the basis for something bigger is there.

-Peter S. Housel-	housel@ecn.purdue.edu  		...!pur-ee!housel

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/19/89)

In article <19968@louie.udel.EDU> Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) writes:
>Is floating point going to be included in future Minix releases?

If enough people express an interest, I'll look into it for V2.0.  What's
wrong with the numbers between 0 and 255?  They are all nice numbers.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

umbaugh@hcx (Dr David L. Umbaugh) (07/19/89)

   From: Andy Tanenbaum <ast@cs.vu.nl>

   If enough people express an interest, I'll look into it for V2.0.  What's
   wrong with the numbers between 0 and 255?  They are all nice numbers.

I especially think 0.035729 is nice. :-)

   Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Dave Umbaugh <umbaugh@hcx.arl.utexas.edu>

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (07/20/89)

In article <2905@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>If enough people express an interest, I'll look into it for V2.0.  What's
>wrong with the numbers between 0 and 255?  They are all nice numbers.
>
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Nothing. It's just that most of us (hint, hint :-) realize that there
are many more then 256 numbers between 0 and 255. :-)
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."   "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525

pshen@atrp.mit.edu (Paul Shen) (07/23/89)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>In article <19968@louie.udel.EDU> Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) writes:
>>Is floating point going to be included in future Minix releases?

>If enough people express an interest, I'll look into it for V2.0.  What's
>wrong with the numbers between 0 and 255?  They are all nice numbers.

Well, those numbers between 0 and 1 are more useful. I think it is a
good idea to include the floating point in the future releases too.

					Paul

| Email:        pshen@atrp.mit.edu                  |       Paul Shen       |
| Address:      MIT, 36-665, Cambridge, Ma 02139    |  Tel. (617) 864-3210  |

muller@cs.mu.oz.au (Paul Muller) (07/24/89)

>What's
> wrong with the numbers between 0 and 255?  They are all nice numbers.
> Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Nothing, it all depends on how many numbers you _think_ there should be
between 0 and 255. :-)

to R or not to R? That is the question... (whether it is nobler to be J?)
BIG SMILEY

paul
(a proposed referendum to keep maths jokes out of comp.os.minix)