[comp.os.minix] Re^2: What computer to get t o run Minix on

VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (07/27/89)

Peter da Silva <peter@FICC.UU.NET> says:
>If you can wait, you should see what Amiga MINIX is like. The
>Amiga has all the advantages of the ST, plus ....

Please do not make such obviously wrong statements unless you want to start a
flame war.  I don't, that's why I'll stop right now before my opinions get out
of control :-) ;-) 8-)

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1 (will go away late '89)      Volker A. Brandt
          UNM409@DBNRHRZ1 (soon)                       Angewandte Mathematik
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             (Bonn, West Germany)
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

In article <20583@louie.udel.EDU>, VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> Peter da Silva <peter@FICC.UU.NET> says:
> >If you can wait, you should see what Amiga MINIX is like. The
> >Amiga has all the advantages of the ST, plus ....

> Please do not make such obviously wrong statements unless you want to start a
> flame war.

I don't see how this is obviously wrong. Hardware-wise, the machines are
so close to equivalent that it's a toss-up. They're both 68000-based
machines with a large linear address space and bit-mapped displays. As
far as MINIX is concerned, there's nothing to choose between them, save
that either has advantages over the IBM-PC with its 64K segments.

The rest of my posting, now that you might have reason to complain about.
I understand some ST people have strong negative opinions about the Amiga
operating system. But the hardware is really pretty much the same. I've
had both of them, so I'm not just flaming in the wind.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "...helping make the world
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  a quote-free zone..."
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |    -- hjm@cernvax.cern.ch