[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.3 upgrade

jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) (02/20/89)

	I posted an article about problems running large shar
	files through sh on Minix 1.2.  The main problem seemed
	to be running out of space in /tmp.  Well I eventually
	got everything home by converting all shar files to
	tar files and it all unpacked very nicely.  Thanks
	to everyone who gave me suggestions.

	Unfortunately my /tmp problems still exist.  While trying
	to apply the diffs for 1.3, patch told me there was no room
	on root device.  I have pretty much the original distribution
	of Minix 1.2 except for /usr being on my hard disk.

	My question is...is there anything I can do short of backing
	my hard disk up, and changing Minix so root resides on the hard
	disk?

	Does this mean that someone with only 2 floppys can't upgrade
	to 1.3?  I removed 90% of the programs on root and went from
	85K free to 185K free space and it made no difference to patch.

	There must be something I'm not getting here,  how did the rest
	of you handle this?

	Thanks in advance
	-jeff-
--
Jeff Holmes	                  DOMAIN: jeff@questar.mn.org
Questar Data Systems                UUCP: amdahl!bungia!questar!jeff

yip@ztivax.UUCP (Dr Yeung-Cho Ip) (02/22/89)

In article <2229@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:

>	Unfortunately my /tmp problems still exist.  While trying
>	to apply the diffs for 1.3, patch told me there was no room
>	on root device.  I have pretty much the original distribution
>	of Minix 1.2 except for /usr being on my hard disk.
>
>	My question is...is there anything I can do short of backing
>	my hard disk up, and changing Minix so root resides on the hard
>	disk?

If your problem is only running out of /tmp space, I think it can be
easyly fixed by removing the /tmp directory from the root device, building
a new one and mounting an unused hard disk partition to it.
This can be done by using the following commands:

	rm -r /tmp
	mkdir /tmp
	mount /dev/hdx /tmp

Unfortunatly I havn't done the 1.3 upgrate yet and so I don't know if
this suggestion solves your problem, but it helped me many times in
similar situations.

Michael Franzen

Michael Franzen c/o yip Siemens AG Munich

n62@np1.hep.nl (Klamer Schutte) (02/22/89)

In article <2229@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:
>	I posted an article about problems running large shar
>	files through sh on Minix 1.2.  The main problem seemed
>	to be running out of space in /tmp.  Well I eventually
>	Unfortunately my /tmp problems still exist.  While trying
>	to apply the diffs for 1.3, patch told me there was no room
>	on root device.  I have pretty much the original distribution
>	of Minix 1.2 except for /usr being on my hard disk.
>
>Jeff Holmes	                  DOMAIN: jeff@questar.mn.org
>Questar Data Systems                UUCP: amdahl!bungia!questar!jeff

A solution for this problem is the following:
have the /tmp directory on a device with enough capacity.

You can do this by not having mounted one of the file systems on its
usual place; for example do /etc/umount /dev/dd0 ; /etc/mount /dev/dd0 /tmp
and you have your floppy mounted to /tmp.

Of course when you have a hard disk with enough space you can mount this one
on /tmp; to make live easier i recommend adaption of shell / environment
variable PATH to include /tmp/bin.

Klamer.

ps: /dev/dd0 is the minix-st name for the floppy; on a pc it could be /dev/fd0.
Klamer Schutte			mcvax!nikhefh!n62	      n62@nikhefh.hep.nl

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/27/89)

As quoted from <2229@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> by jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes):
+---------------
| 	Unfortunately my /tmp problems still exist.  While trying
| 	to apply the diffs for 1.3, patch told me there was no room
| 	on root device.  I have pretty much the original distribution
| 	of Minix 1.2 except for /usr being on my hard disk.
+---------------

I made a 1.7MB partition on my hard drive and have /etc/rc mount it on /tmp.
(WARNING:  THIS MUST BE DONE *BEFORE* /etc/update IS RUN, OR THE MOUNT WILL
FAIL.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) (02/27/89)

	I was wondering if someone who has made the upgrade
	to 1.3 using the package from bugs could help me out.

	I have my library ordered just as ast posted his,  but
	I have 1 problem.  In the lib directory there is a
	subdirectory called IBM_PC.  The 5 or 6 files in there
	are UNPACKED assembly code.  For reference if I can
	remember correctly the files are...

		brksize.s  catchsig.s  sendrec.s  portio.s
		setjmp.s (and 1 more I think).

	Anyway, I packed these files and loaded them into the
	correct place in the library but they were unacceptable
	to the compiler when I tried to compile some of the
	files in the commands directory. (Unresolved references).
	So I just loaded into the library the 1.2 brksize.s,
	catchsig.s, etc and then my compiles worked fine.

	Of course I can't leave the 1.2 files in the library,
	so I was wondering if someone could tell me what I
	need to do to those 5 or 6 IBM_PC .s files to get
	them into the library format?  There is no source
	just the UNPACKED assembly code.  I especially can't
	keep the 1.2 files in the library because there
	is no 1.2 'portio.s' so I'm going to eventually hit
	that when I compile.

	P.S. I used the 1.2 libpack. Do I need to compile the 1.3
	     libpack and use that?

	Thanks for any help.
	-jeff-
--
Jeff Holmes	                  DOMAIN: jeff@questar.mn.org
Questar Data Systems                UUCP: amdahl!bungia!questar!jeff

jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) (02/28/89)

	Hi,

	I have another question concerning the 1.3 upgrade.
	In amoeba.c there are two lines that set the message
	type to AM_SYSCALL.

	AM_SYSCALL is not defined anywhere.  It looks like it
	should go in /usr/include/minix/com.h but I have no
	idea what its value should be. Was there a patch to
	com.h?

	Thanks
	-jeff-
--

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/01/89)

In article <2266@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG> jeff@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:
>	AM_SYSCALL is not defined anywhere.

It is in h/callnr.h near the end.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

james_jim_woomer@cup.portal.com (04/09/89)

Does anyone have a good phone number for the folks at Prentice Hall..I
signed up for the upgrades, and received the 1.3 package...but I
bought the ST version.. I received the PC upgrades.. Im going to send it
back of course, but Id like to talk to a human to make sure I get the
ST upgrades when they are available.. Thanks  Jim Woomer

garyb@iotek.UUCP (Gary Burrell) (07/28/89)

Well I received my minix 1.3 upgrade disks in the mail from P-H
yesterday and now I will proceed to install them.  Before I get into
the installation too deep is there any special tips tricks etc that
will help me set this system up properly.  I am running on an 8-MHz XT
with two floppys and a 40 Mb Hd (Miniscribe 3650, WD controller) with
8Mb devoted to minix (partition 1) 24 M primary DOS 3.3 (part 2) and 8
mb secondary DOS (partition 3) It currently running under Minix 1.1 to
be upgraded to Minix 1.3 using the P-H 1.3 upgrade kit.

Some questions I have.

	What commands from ver 1.1 do I need to keep on my hd to
compile version 1.3.  Can I delete everything from 1.1 (I want to end
up with a system thats as close to the 1.3 full distribution version
as possible).

	Does anyone have a directory listing for the complete 1.3
system on a HD with all the files in the proper places that they could
mail me to assist me in my set up of the system?

	Does anyone have the files sys/dir.h sys/timeb.h sys/times.h
and type.h which I understand are missing from the upgrade disks?

	Does any one have a clock driver for a real time clock that I
could use as a starting place to hack it to work on my machine?

	Any thing else I need to know?

Thank for your help.

			Gary

			<<<<<<******>>>>>>
Gary R. Burrell, Iotek Inc,     |*| E-Mail: garyb@iotek.uucp	|*|
1127 Barrington St., Suite 100, |*| Fax:    (902)420-0674	|*|
Halifax, N.S., B3H 2P8, Canada  |*| Phone:  (902)420-1890	|*|

Damm it Jim
  I'm a Doctor not a Computer Scientist!

             *************************************

garyb@iotek.UUCP (Gary Burrell) (07/31/89)

In article <340@venus.iotek.UUCP> garyb@iotek.UUCP (Gary R. Burrell) writes:
>Well I received my minix 1.3 upgrade disks in the mail from P-H
>yesterday and now I will proceed to install them.  Before I get into
>the installation too deep is there any special tips tricks etc that
>will help me set this system up properly.  I am running on an 8-MHz XT
>with two floppys and a 40 Mb Hd (Miniscribe 3650, WD controller) with
>8Mb devoted to minix (partition 1) 24 M primary DOS 3.3 (part 2) and 8
>mb secondary DOS (partition 3) It currently running under Minix 1.1 to
>be upgraded to Minix 1.3 using the P-H 1.3 upgrade kit.

 etc etc etc

>	Does anyone have the files sys/dir.h sys/timeb.h sys/times.h
>and type.h which I understand are missing from the upgrade disks?

Yup, those files are missing or buryed somewhere where I can't find
them.  Can someone send them to me.  I would like to get this upgrade
finished as quick as possible so I can get down to some serious
MINIXing.

		Thanks in advance

			Gary R. Burrell