[comp.os.minix] Re^2: What computer to get t o run Minix onk

jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com (Jim Burnes) (08/05/89)

Peter:

I am not trying to start a flame war.  Lets nip that idea in the bud right
now.  Essentially the amiga and the ST are the same machines, except for the
fact that the Amiga has dedicated blitter and ditital/stereo sound.  Als the
ST has built in SCSI interface and MIDI ports.  There are many times I wished
I had built in SCSI.  I have an A1000 and have to keep slapping new additions
onto the side of my Amiga.  A real pain.  The amiga also has
multitasking/windowing.  The ST runs much faster on floppies.  Both machines
are doomed in the long run if Amiga doesnt detatch from Commodore and the ST
doesnt detatch from Jack Tramiel.  No flames please.  I like both machines.

"Nothing like a good linear address space I always say"
..ME

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!jburnes
INET: jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com

In article <18515@gryphon.COM>, jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
> Peter:

> I am not trying to start a flame war.  Lets nip that idea in the bud right
> now.  Essentially the amiga and the ST are the same machines [except for
  some minor (for Minix) features]...

Isn't that what I just got through saying?

But if you want to run the native O/S as well, the semantic distance
between MINIX and AmigaOS is a lot less than between MINIX and TOS.

On the other hand, if you're into IBM-PCs, TOS is essentially MS-DOS
without the 8088 brain-damage.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"