[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.2 to 1.3 or 1.4 cdifs from bugs and listserv

snewton@ (Steve Newton) (08/06/89)

I am having difficulty using listserv's 1213*{a?-z} files.
The /bin/sh files extract well. However the diff xxx files
have strange path names(I compensated with -p option).

Why are some cdiff's headless?(no combination of cat commands
will work as one file ends without a header for the next diff).

Could some one explain what is accomplished in *rearrange* ?

I really would like to talk to someone who has 1.3 or 1.4 working.

What files from 1.2 are not included in bug's 1.3 tar?

Thanks for your help in advance.

PS: I may port 1.4 to a TANDY 2000(after its up on a AT).
	(8Mhz 80186 and motorola 9500 Video Controller)

ncoverby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (08/11/89)

In article <15059@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> snewton@ux.acss.umn.edu (Steve Newton) writes:
>I am having difficulty using listserv's 1213*{a?-z} files.

>[...] the diff xxx files
>have strange path names(I compensated with -p option).

Interesting, I never noticed that.

>Why are some cdiff's headless?(no combination of cat commands
>will work as one file ends without a header for the next diff).

It is one context diff, split into many pieces.  The original diff file was
several hundred K and it is considered to be in bad taste to send such huge
files across Bitnet, so I split it.  I had to split it into smaller pieces
further when people on the wrong side of some gateways got truncated files.
Cat the diff pieces together and feed them to patch.

>Could some one explain what is accomplished in *rearrange* ?

some files (mainly includes, I think) were relocated between versions 1.2
and 1.3.  Thus you need to "rearrange" them!

>I really would like to talk to someone who has 1.3 or 1.4 working.

I think there are quite a few of us with that.  I believe there are quite
number of people out there who have sucessfully upgraded along the path
of 1.1-1.2-1.3-1.4a.  I didn't have that many problems.

>What files from 1.2 are not included in bug's 1.3 tar?
the ones that weren't changed.
--
		Glen Overby	<ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)