[comp.os.minix] listserv punch format

HIGGS_M%P1.LANCSP.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mike Higgs) (08/04/89)

Has anybody got a working version of the LPUNCH.C program for converting
files requested from a BITNET server? I cut one from the "Info L-PUNCH" file
from NDSUVM1 but when I try it, I keep getting "input contains records of more
than 80 chars". I am trying it on the PS command file. If no-one has a working
 one, is there an easier way to convert from listserv punch format?

Thanks,

                        Mike Higgs

School of Computing,              JANET : higgs_m@uk.ac.lancsp.p1
Lancashire Polytechnic,           EARN  : higgs_m@p1.lancsp.ac.uk
Preston,
U.K.
PR1 2TQ.

LANCER%GACVAX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Lance A. Brown) (08/04/89)

Hi Mike,
        I also cut out the C program from the LPUNCH MEMO and it works fine
for me both under Turbo C 2.0 and MINIX C 1.3d.  I had to do some replaces
on the source code to get the []{}\ characters back into the proper format,
but that was noted in the memo.  One I did that I just compiled it and it
worked fine.

        I will send you the code I have if you wish.

Lance Brown
LNACER@GAVAX1.BITNET

ncoverby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (08/11/89)

In article <21008@louie.udel.EDU> HIGGS_M%P1.LANCSP.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mike Higgs) writes:
>Has anybody got a working version of the LPUNCH.C program

> I keep getting "input contains records of more
>than 80 chars".

I tested that program quite some time ago with no problems.  Listserv-Punch
was designed to transport files with lines longer than 80 characters over
Bitnet (Bitnet was designed around IBM's VM/CMS, whose networking facilities
use a "virtual" card reader and card punch, thus limiting them to 80
characters per line), and still be able to pass thru gateways without
problems.

My only guess about your problem is that a gateway expanded TABs, pushing
lines over 80 columns and making them undecodable by an unmodified LPUN.
Try using a different gateway, if possible.
--
		Glen Overby	<ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)