[comp.os.minix] recompiling Copyrighted sources

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (08/10/89)

Just a quickie this one ... if you are on a site and have _legitimate_
access to UNIX source code is it legal for you to recompile it under
Minix and use it ?

I assume that if you did this then it would be illegal to distribute the
binaries, but if it is legal just to use them yourself then would it be
worth posting patches to allow people with access to source to use it on
their machines.

Its probably very dodgy I know - but if not then it could be usefull.

-Pete French.

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (08/12/89)

In article <317@galadriel.bt.co.uk>, pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
> Just a quickie this one ... if you are on a site and have _legitimate_
> access to UNIX source code is it legal for you to recompile it under
> Minix and use it ?

Only on the licensed machine.

That is, if you run Minix on your machine which is licensed by AT&T
for sources then you may compile and run the resulting binaries on
that machine (I am assuming you are not licensed as a Unix reseller).

Even if you have a cross compiler you would need to license your
Minix machine to run Unix in order to use components of it legally.

We have academic licenses here but we have to add any new machines
to the license before moving source, booting etc.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

In article <317@galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
>Just a quickie this one ... if you are on a site and have _legitimate_
>access to UNIX source code is it legal for you to recompile it under
>Minix and use it ?

Your legitimate access to Unix source code will normally come subject to
an AT&T source license, which authorizes you to use that source on
certain specific machines AND NOWHERE ELSE.  If your Minix machine is in
the list of authorized machines, then it doesn't matter what operating
system you are running on it, it's okay.  If your Minix machine is not
in the list, you are violating your license if you move so much as one
byte of AT&T code to it.

Incidentally, despite the "Subject" line, copyright is irrelevant when
there is a signed license agreement involved.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu