[comp.os.minix] patch.c

bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) (08/07/89)

Trying to apply Peter Housel's recent cdiff to sed.c, I had patch
run out of /tmp space.  I keep my RAM disk pretty clean, but
even an empty RAM disk is pretty tight.

No sweat, I think.  I'll just hack patch.c to find scratch space
someplace else.

Should have known better.  Can't find patch.c in the archived
command sources which came with my PH 1.3 distribution.

I mounted a floppy on /tmp, and that gave me enough /tmp space
to update sed.  Now I'm wondering why I don't have patch.c.

Anybody know why patch.c is not in the PH distribution?

Anybody know where I can find a copy?

ncoverby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (08/11/89)

In article <9189@chinet.chi.il.us> bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>Anybody know why patch.c is not in the PH distribution?
>Anybody know where I can find a copy?

The source code to patch is quite large, and there was not enough space for
it on a 9-diskette set, even when everything was compressed.  Andy wanted to
keep the distribution to 9 diskettes for price reasons (the more disks, the
more bucks).  You can get patch from several Internet sites, and there is a
patch (I believe with binary) specifically for Minix on vm1.nodak.edu aka
ndsuvm1 on Bitnet.  See the Minix Information Sheet for details on
requesting the files.
--
		Glen Overby	<ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)

gert@targon.UUCP (Gert Kanis) (08/18/89)

 writes:
>>Anybody know why patch.c is not in the PH distribution?
>
>The source code to patch is quite large, and there was not enough space for
>it on a 9-diskette set, even when everything was compressed.
>--
>		Glen Overby	<ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
>	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)

On the distribution of MINIX-ST there is a program called fix.
It serves the same purpose.  Does somebody know if it is realy the
same as patch? (just curious).

| The smoker you drink,|  Gert Kanis, SWP                         |
| the W.C.             |  Nixdorf Computer BV, Postbus 29         |
|----------------------|  4130 EA Vianen, Netherlands.            |
| I do not represent   |  E-mail :    targon!gert@nluug.nl        |
| anyone elses opinion.|  or ..!mcvax!hp4nl!targon!gert           |

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (08/19/89)

In article <599@targon.UUCP> gert@targon.UUCP (Gert Kanis) writes:
>On the distribution of MINIX-ST there is a program called fix.
>It serves the same purpose [as patch].  Does somebody know if it is realy the
>same as patch? (just curious).

Fix is NOT close to patch in complexity (or size).  Fix takes "normal" diffs
and rather blindly applys them.  Patch, on the other hand, works best with
context diffs, and can cope with limited (simple) changes in the file having
the patches applied to it.