[comp.os.minix] UNIX-like crypt function

wtoomey@gara.une.oz (Warren Toomey) (08/21/89)

In article <3947@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> In  <17369@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
		[ asking for the source to crypt ]
> > What happens if [crypt()] gets in the "wrong" hands through the network?
> 	The ruskies will then be able to decode all of our secret military
> transmissions, bringing about the fall of democracy as we know it today and
> subjecting the entire planet to the dominance of the evil empire.

They've had it for years! I've got the source code in C form, written by
Andrew S. Tanenbaum, & taken from his book `Computer Networks'. It's
Unix crypt() compatible. It's used in his Minix Operating System, a
V7 Unix-clone for PCs. Would anybody get upset if I post it?
Is it legal? Is Andy's source copyright? Who has the answers?

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/23/89)

>> 		[ asking for the source to crypt ]
>>> What happens if [crypt()] gets in the "wrong" hands through the network?
>>> In  <17369@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:

>> 	The ruskies will then be able to decode all of our secret military
>> transmissions, bringing about the fall of democracy as we know it today and
>> subjecting the entire planet to the dominance of the evil empire.
>>	Roy Smith

> They've had it for years! I've got the source code in C form, written by
> Andrew S. Tanenbaum, & taken from his book `Computer Networks'. It's
> Unix crypt() compatible. It's used in his Minix Operating System, a
> V7 Unix-clone for PCs. Would anybody get upset if I post it?
> Is it legal? Is Andy's source copyright? Who has the answers?
> --
> Warren Toomey

Please do not post crypt.  Mail it.  The problem is that many sites in
the USA export notes outside the USA.  Each of those sites can get
into trouble with the US Government.  It does not matter that the
crypt source originated outside the USA.  It is very stupid.
Everybody knows that our government is being stupid about this.  There
is nothing we can do about that except get innocent sites into
trouble.  The most likely result of that would be for those sites to
stop forwarding mail and notes, and we don't want that.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

ath@helios.prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (08/24/89)

In article <5870013@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:

>Please do not post crypt.  Mail it.  [ ... explaining why ... ]

There are other crypt()s/des()s floating around as well, possibly
different from that presented by ast.

One is available through anonymous ftp from a machine in Finland -
sauna.hut.fi, was it? Others are available in comp.sources.unix in
volumes 7 and 10 (both called des), and volume 18 (non-usa-des).

Take your choice.

--
Anders Thulin, Programsystem AB, Teknikringen 2A, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden
ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcvax}!sunic!prosys!ath

tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Tim Nelson) (08/25/89)

ola,

In article <1093@gara.une.oz> wtoomey@gara.une.oz (Warren Toomey) writes:
>Andrew S. Tanenbaum, & taken from his book `Computer Networks'. It's
>Unix crypt() compatible. It's used in his Minix Operating System, a
>V7 Unix-clone for PCs. Would anybody get upset if I post it?

hey post-away, several have already turned up, so why not?

	later & later,

==========
tim (nelson)         | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
ncr canada           | internet     tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM
(416) 826-9000 x442  | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario
==========

harrison@utfyzx.uucp (David Harrison) (08/25/89)

In  <17369@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
> What happens if [crypt()] gets in the "wrong" hands through the network?

Crypt(1) has been in my (wrong) hands for a long time, and despite our
current Prime Minister's best efforts Canada is still not part of the U.S.
Everybody with licenced UNIX source which goes back before the restriction
was imposed has it; that includes a lot of people.

It is amusing to consider taking the source for crypt.c (all 134
lines of it) down to the Soviet Consulate and see what I could get
for it: maybe a bag of seed corn, or a fried egg, or ...
--
David Harrison                            | "God does not play dice with
Dept. of Physics, Univ of Toronto         |  the universe." -- Einstein

nick@nswitgould.cs.uts.oz (Nick Andrew) (08/26/89)

in article <1093@gara.une.oz>, wtoomey@gara.une.oz (Warren Toomey) says:

> They've had it for years! I've got the source code in C form, written by
> Andrew S. Tanenbaum, & taken from his book `Computer Networks'. It's
> Unix crypt() compatible.
>                          It's used in his Minix Operating System, a
> V7 Unix-clone for PCs. Would anybody get upset if I post it?

	I think the DES-compatible crypt was removed with 1.3, or
thereabouts. Nobody has as yet been able to tell me why.

> Is it legal? Is Andy's source copyright? Who has the answers?

	John Gilmore.

Regards, Nick.
--
			"Zeta Microcomputer Software"
ACSnet:    nick@nswitgould.cs.uts.oz	nick@ultima.cs.uts.oz

royle@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (keenan royle) (09/04/89)

In article <14213@nswitgould.cs.uts.oz> nick@nswitgould.cs.uts.oz (Nick Andrew) writes:
>in article <1093@gara.une.oz>, wtoomey@gara.une.oz (Warren Toomey) says:
>
>	I think the DES-compatible crypt was removed with 1.3, or
>thereabouts. Nobody has as yet been able to tell me why.
>
>> Is it legal? Is Andy's source copyright? Who has the answers?
>
>	John Gilmore.
>
>Regards, Nick.
>--

It is illegal to export DES, but importation is legal.

Also in another weird legal twist.  If you were to write DES encryption
routines, and you were to put them out for anonymous ftp and someone
from outside the USA ftp'ed them that would be ok.

The Kerebos people had MIT had to deal with this.

Gosh glad we got the NSA to protect us, kinda makes you feal all warm
inside