[comp.os.minix] Price of MINIX in Oz

timcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Tim Cook) (09/08/89)

In article <3162@ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> In article <14646@nswitgould.cs.uts.oz> nick_andrew%713.602@fidogate.fido.oz (Nick Andrew) writes:
>>In Australia, Minix 1.2 or 1.1 (?) from Dymocks costs $350.
> How much does it cost from P-H?  I am not sure who Dymocks is, but anybody
> who wants to can buy MINIX from P-H and then resell it at whatever price they
> want.  P-H has an office in Sydney.  Could you call them, find out what the
> story is, and post that?

Back in May, I purchased MINIX-ST v1.1 directly from Prentice-Hall in
Melbourne.  They charged me $167.95, which was wholesale.

This was after I spoke to McGills, a bookshop in Melbourne of some repute.
They quoted $227.95 for what would be exactly the same copy of MINIX-ST.  They
said that MINIX-PC v1.3 was over $300 from them.  They also said that their
lowest markup was 1/3.  Also, they said they had never sold any version of
MINIX-PC for less than $200.

Given the above facts, I would estimate that MINIX-PC 1.3 direct from
Prentice-Hall in Australia would be around $220, and that anyone who does not
buy it direct from P-H loses.  The person I spoke to at P-H did say that
purchasing an item directly from them was not the normal thing, though.

BTW, the Australian dollar currently buys about 76 US cents, and has been at
around that mark since May.

I'll go back to counting my pennies now ... :-)