[comp.os.minix] Aus cost of minix

eezprandolin@qut.edu.au (09/10/89)

In article <3162@ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> In article <14646@nswitgould.cs.uts.oz> nick_andrew%713.602@fidogate.fido.oz (Nick Andrew) writes:
>>I would tend to prefer distribution in pure compressed form - but
>> each disk containing a filesystem.
> I agree.  I wouldn't consider anything else.  However, these file systems
> might contain tar files.  I'll worry about that later.  In any event, I'll
> make a shell script that does the installation.
>>
>>Also, my opinion of the various tools & utilities people
>>have written & ported to Minix over 2.5 years is that there
>>is too much to include as part of "base" Minix.
> Should I leave out kermit?  zmodem? ELLE? etc?  I think most everything
> that I have floating around now is reasonably good and has a following.
>
>>In Australia, Minix 1.2 or 1.1 (?) from Dymocks costs $350.
> How much does it cost from P-H?  I am not sure who Dymocks is, but anybody
> who wants to can buy MINIX from P-H and then resell it at whatever price they
> want.  P-H has an office in Sydney.  Could you call them, find out what the
> story is, and post that?
>
> Andy Tanenbaum

Mail to you bounced so here it is:

I tried to obtain Minix ST via PH Sydney in OCT/NOV last year.
P-H told me $200 (Aus) plus postage etc and 13 to 16 weeks delivery time
I told them it wasn't good enough and ordered direct from the US at $79-95

They also indicated that they were not going to hold the title ex stock
Sydney.

P.S. Prentice Hall International sales REFUSE to take credit cards not
issued from American banks ! (Silly). I ordered mine through an international
distributor (Baker and Taylor) who were on the ball and very helpful.
(Unlike P-H who were nothing but frustrating).

#define DISCLAIMER The_usual_stuff

                    BOB