[comp.os.minix] Minix beginner questions

jeremy@mips.COM (Jeremy M. Schneider) (09/09/89)

I am just getting into Minix, and I have some questions that perhaps some
of you can help me with.

My configuration: 12 MHz AT clone with 1.2 MB floppy, 64 MB RLL hard disk,
640 K, monochrome monitor, Hayes compatible (Bizcomp Intellimodem) 2400
baud modem, Panasonic KX-P1124 printer. (I don't have the model of the disk
drive or other parts handy at the moment.)

I have version 1.1.  I just received the 1.3 upgrade kit from P-H.  P-H
told me that you cannot use the upgrade kit from 1.1 (is that true?), so I
am exchanging my 1.1 for a 1.2.

I can boot my 1.1 on the floppy.  I am interested in setting up the system
on my hard disk, which is currently partitioned into 2 32 MB virtual disks,
C: and D:.  I have put nothing on drive D:, hoping that I will be able to
create a Minix partion in its place.

Can you give me tips on how to partition my hard disk and put Minix on it?

After I get 1.1 or 1.3 up on the hard disk, I would like to bring it up
to version 1.4a.  Which version is the 1.4a upgrade relative to?  Would
some kind soul who is willing to send me the 1.4a diffs email me a message
to that effect?  I will then respond to one person (I hope one responds!)
and get the upgrade from him/her.

Thanks,
	Jeremy
--
Jeremy M. Schneider              jeremy@mips.com
MIPS Computer Systems            {ames,decwrl}!mips!jeremy

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/10/89)

In article <27187@dunkshot.mips.COM> jeremy@mips.COM (Jeremy M. Schneider) writes:
>P-H told me that you cannot use the upgrade kit from 1.1 (is that true?), so I
>am exchanging my 1.1 for a 1.2.
I do wish they wouldn't say things when they don't know what they are
talking about.  You probably talked to a telephone order-taker who wouldn't
know the difference between a real time system and a spreadsheet.  You can
certainly upgrade from 1.1 to 1.3 (also from 1.2 to 1.3).  The upgrade kit
contains all the sources plus the most recent C compiler.  Just boot 1.1,
install the new compiler, and compile all the sources.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (09/11/89)

I have just received my 1.3 minix for the AT from P.H. and must confess
that I've been to busy to do much more than boot minix on a true blue IBM
PC AT at work.  I'd like to thank Andy for the user friendly documentation,
I feel confident that I'll be able to port minix to my Tandy 4000SX with
what's there and the numerous machines I have access to at work.

My problem is due to my Tandy 4000 having a 1.44 3 1/2" drive as its only
floppy, and no matter how I folded the boot disks from P.H., they just
won't fit into the drive!!! :-)   It would probably be a nice option if the
package was available on 3 1/2" --- and by the way ... will I need a custon
floppy disk drive to use my 3 1/2" drive?

Also, has anybody got a hard disk driver for an IDE hard disk interface, or
do they know if the distributed driver will work with the IDE hardware?

Finally, my 1.3 came with a return card which has a check space for
"receiving all minix upgrades for $29.95".  Is this refering to version 1.4
or what?

Thanks in advance ...
				    John Reynolds