[comp.os.minix] minix_read/minix_write? Help

jwf@hpctdlb.HP.COM (John Freeborg) (09/09/89)

Has anyone ever developed DOS programs which could read/write Minix formatted
disks?  Sort of like the opposite of dos-read, dos-write?  Any helpful
information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
    John
       Freeborg

John W. Freeborg			Hewlett Packard Company
jwf@hpcsos.col.hp.com			Colorado Telecommunications Division
Disclaimer = 				5070 Centennial Blvd.
'The opinions expressed are not		Colorado Springs, CO  80919
 necessarily those of my employer.'	(719) 531-4771

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/10/89)

In article <2280003@hpctdlb.HP.COM> jwf@hpctdlb.HP.COM (John Freeborg) writes:

>Has anyone ever developed DOS programs which could read/write Minix formatted
>disks?  Sort of like the opposite of dos-read, dos-write?  Any helpful
>information would be greatly appreciated.

The standard MINIX program readfs will do exactly that.  It reads a MINIX
file system, and creates an image of it on some disk.  If you compile readfs
using any MS-DOS compiler, you can then run it on MS-DOS.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) (09/12/89)

Steve Harrold posted a min2dos package that was fairly useful.

It contained the .exes and the sources code in an arc file.

The message was:
From: Steve Harrold <swh@hpsmtc1.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: Accessing Minix files from MSDOS