[comp.os.minix] Re^2: More Minix ST kernel speedups

I5110401%DBSTU1.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (09/11/89)

Bruce Evans <evans@DITSYDA.OZ> writes:
>These modifications are already in my 286 PM kernel, and so should be in
>1.4b-PC. The old proc_addr() macro is better for constant proc numbers, so I
>renamed it cproc_addr() and kept it for those.
>
>I think my kernel gets used, but the code is not widely read. (?)

Bruce, you are somewhat wrong. The truth is, i can't use nearly nothing coming
along this newsgroup. This is a BITNET host, meaning it's using EBCDIC code
for transmission (Extraneous Bits Cause Destruction In Communications...).
Moreover, someone munges TABs an produces 4 spaces instead of it, and, more
worse, someone is removing trailing blanks from the postings, making nearly
every context diff unusable. I am used to get the important things from a
nearby fileserver, and your modified kernel is on the bottom of my importance
list (remember, i'm using minix on an ST).

Just a suggestion : Would you (and i mean *everyone*) please send more soft-
ware in uuencode format ? That would be very good for those hanging on this
[comments censored] bitnet |

>Bruce Evans       evans@ditsyda.oz.au
              " This space intentionally left blank "

Kai-Uwe Bloem, I5110401@DBSTU1.BitNet, ...!unido!dbstu1.bitnet!i5110401,
I5110401%DBSTU1.BITNET@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU (or other known gateways)
   student of cs at Technische Universitaet Braunschweig / w-germany

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/12/89)

In article <23662@louie.udel.EDU> I5110401%DBSTU1.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Just a suggestion : Would you (and i mean *everyone*) please send more soft-
>ware in uuencode format ? That would be very good for those hanging on this
>[comments censored] bitnet |

Although in theory it should be possible to uudecode things every time, I
have had problems.  It is also extra work for nonbitnet sites, and consumes
extra network bandwidth.

Another possibility: is there anyone who could function as a gateway, i.e.
someone who is on USENET and bitnet, and who could take could postings,
uuencode them, and then get them onto bitnet or even send them to a bitnet
mailing list of interested people.  I hate to restrict everybody to upper
case letters only because there is somebody, somewhere, who still has an
IBM 026 card punch around.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (09/13/89)

In article <23662@louie.udel.EDU> I5110401%DBSTU1.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
whines:
>Just a suggestion : Would you (and i mean *everyone*) please send more soft-
>ware in uuencode format ? That would be very good for those hanging on this
>[comments censored] bitnet |

Don't ask the rest of the world to stiffle themselves just for your Bitnet
(IBM) problems.  If your network is broke, FIX IT!  Better yet, get on a
Usenet (Eunet) node.  Or become one!  I have my Minix PC on (thanks to Peter
Housel and his port of UUPC).

I do not think the rest of us should pay for the added overhead and
inconvenience of uuencoded *source* files for one odball network's problems.

Several years ago I started an archive on the Bitnet node NDSUVM1, in hopes
of getting the Bitnet people to shut up about trashed files.  I have quite a
bit of stuff there, and it seems to be quite usable from Bitnet (I dont have
space for *everything*, and I do maintenance in bursts).

>Moreover, someone munges TABs an produces 4 spaces instead of it, and, more
>worse, someone is removing trailing blanks from the postings, making nearly
>every context diff unusable.

"Someone" is IBM's "FAL" TCP/IP product.

There are other solutions to the trashed patces problem: for starters, use
patch with the "-l" option ("loose" comparisons, meaning ignore tabs
converted into spaces).  I did the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 this way with
Bitnet-ised diffs.

 > " This space intentionally left blank "

Blank truncated by IBM protocol because it was at the end of a line :-)
--
		Glen Overby	<ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)