[comp.os.minix] An nroff clone

mcd@ccsitn.att.com (09/11/89)

A related note.   There is a nroff like clone available from M&T publishers
consisting of code that was originally printed in Dr. Dobbs.  I have a copy
of it and it's pretty good.   It includes a macro package that is essentially
the same as the MS macros from unix, no man or mm.

I am not sure whether this can be posted or not, or even if I should because
of the amount of stuff in the package.  It should be easy to port though
because the package was originally done in a way that emphasizes portability.

The program is called NR.

Mike Dickson                       arpa!ccsitn!mcd
                                   att!ccsitn!mcd
                                   mcd@ccsitn.att.com

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) (09/11/89)

A port of NR has been done by Peter Housel, the diffs were posted last
year.

I"ve used NR on Ms/Dos -- I felt it worked pretty good.  For $29, you get
the disk + a 100 page manual which is intelligently written.

I've meant to recompile it to run under Unix, Ms/Dos and Minix.  I just
haven't gotten around to it.

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:  hplabs!arisia!leisner

hinton@netcom.UUCP (Greg Hinton) (09/12/89)

In article <23660@louie.udel.EDU> mcd@ccsitn.att.com writes:
>A related note.   There is a nroff like clone available from M&T publishers
>consisting of code that was originally printed in Dr. Dobbs.  I have a copy
>of it and it's pretty good.   It includes a macro package that is essentially
>the same as the MS macros from unix, no man or mm.
>
>I am not sure whether this can be posted or not, or even if I should because
>of the amount of stuff in the package.  It should be easy to port though
>because the package was originally done in a way that emphasizes portability.
>
>The program is called NR.

NR is copyrighted by Allen Holub & the manual contains the statement,
"This document and the accompanying software may not be copied or
distributed ... except for purposes of backup."

It's not a complete nroff, although from what I've seen it's much better
than NRO.  It can be had for $29.95 from M&T:
	M & T Publishing, Inc.
	501 Galveston Drive
	Redwood City, CA 94063
--
Greg Hinton
DOMAIN: hinton@netcom.uucp

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/12/89)

In article <23660@louie.udel.EDU> mcd@ccsitn.att.com writes:
>A related note.   There is a nroff like clone available from M&T publishers
>I am not sure whether this can be posted or not, or even if I should because
>of the amount of stuff in the package.

Could you please check it out.  I took a closer look at nroff, and decided to
rename it nro again (subsequent to the last posting).  It isn't even close
to nroff and it barely works, to boot.  If somebody is publishing the nroff
you have, it is probably copyright and we can't use it, but one never knows.
Various companies sell TEX, even though it is in the public domain.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

rosenkra@hall.cray.com (Bill Rosenkranz) (09/13/89)

In article <23660@louie.udel.EDU> mcd@ccsitn.att.com writes:
=A related note.   There is a nroff like clone available from M&T publishers
=consisting of code that was originally printed in Dr. Dobbs.  I have a copy
=...
=I am not sure whether this can be posted or not, or even if I should because
=...
=The program is called NR.

i doubt this can be posted. it is copyrighted and sold for profit.

i have been playing around with the nro posted. i have added .fl, .ec, .ft,
.ll, .pn, .lt, .c2, .tl, .af, .ad, .na and several of the internal registers.
i also fixed macro definition to include handling \\, \n, etc correctly.

i am working on .ds, .if, .wh and .di (strings, conditionals, traps, and
diversions). all this is being done under TOS on the ST but it should port
(except probably \fB, .ft) to minix. i added all the \(xx and \(*xx special
characters, too, that the ST normally has.

if i ever get the diversions and traps done, i'll post it.

-bill
rosenkra@boston.cray.com
rosenkra@hall.cray.com

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/14/89)

In article <4671@hall.cray.com> rosenkra@hall.UUCP (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:
>In article <23660@louie.udel.EDU> mcd@ccsitn.att.com writes:
>i have been playing around with the nro posted. i have added .fl, .ec, .ft,
>.ll, .pn, .lt, .c2, .tl, .af, .ad, .na and several of the internal registers.
>i also fixed macro definition to include handling \\, \n, etc correctly.

WONDERFUL!  I think that text processing is one area where MINIX is very
deficient.  An improved nro would be a big plus.

One personal request.  I use \fR \fB and \fI all over the place.  It would
be nice if nro could handle them as regular, overstriking, and underlining,
respectively.  Another very useful feature would be .if .  I have macro
packages that are actually for troff, but I could easily test
.if n
to see if it is nroff, and proceed differently.

If you make enough progress, I might even rename nro back to nroff (again).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)