[comp.os.minix] Interleave

evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce Evans) (09/18/89)

In article <23940@louie.udel.EDU> SQ79%liverpool.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (Mark Powell) writes:
>Does  anybody  know  anything about  optimum  interleave  factors
>for  hard  disks  under  MINIX. Recently I changed the interleave
>factor   on   my   Western   Digital   Filecard   (21meg)  (which
>incidentally runs under MINIX with no  trouble)  from  4  to  10.
>This  resulted  in  a  near 3 times speed increase under DOS, but
>showed  minimal  difference  under  MINIX.  Is  it  possible   to
>have  separate  partitions  with  a  different interleave factor?
>If so where can I get the necessary software to achieve this?

The DOS shareware program IAU.EXE will determine the best interleave
(for DOS :() and change the interleave without reformatting or (with
luck) losing your data. It works with the raw disk so doesn't care
about partitions, and each track can have a different interleave.

Surely not an interleave of 10? That gives 17/10 times the slowest
speed so can't be 3 times faster.

I don't like interleaves, they inherently cut performance by a factor,
unless the software is clever enough to determine and undo the effects
of the interleave. I have modified the Minix floppy driver to keep up
with the standard interleave of 1 (only works on a 386 so far). Same
for the AT hard disk driver with my chosen interleave of 2. FS needed
mods too. My PC hard disk has interleave 3, best for DOS but poor for
Minix even with the modifications.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@ditsyda.oz.au