[comp.os.minix] Official Clam Patch #3 - 0 of 3

wtoomey@gara.une.oz (Warren Toomey) (09/13/89)

After many bug reports from SysV users, we have finally got a version of
Clam that works under BSD, SysV, and Minix. Hooray! At last a portable
shell.

The following patches fix a bug with hashing, add a new command line option
`ESC-^P', and generally allow Clam to compile under SysV.

Unfortunately we don't have access to a SysV machine here, so we hope the
patches will work - I'm sure you'll let us know if it doesn't :-)

I'm particularly interested to find out how many people use Clam, especially
under Minix. I would really like to see Clam get into the next release of
Minix, like kermit & Elle (i.e binary only, sources available from archive
sites). Any feelings on this?

**** N.B **** My email address will change tomorrow, as I have taken a
job at another site, so please don't email to me, try callum at
callum@gara.une.oz@murtoa.oz.au

Finally, I've removed crc from this machine, so below is a word-count
of the Clam files.

	Cheers,
		Warren Toomey & Callum Gibson.
----------------------------- cut here -----------------------------------

Word Count of Clam 1.3.3 files - 13/9/89

       9      47     320 Dotclamrc
      14      43     278 Dotlogin
      47     316    1924 INSTALLATION
     291    1870   13937 Log.tex
     142     552    4145 Makefile
      99     693    4201 Notes
      86     752    4505 README
      13      60     391 Sharup
     278     650    6901 alias.c
    1305    2711   29909 builtin1.c
     198     468    5204 builtin2.c
    1055    6893   39180 clam.1
     684    1885   19213 clex.c
     887    2354   21383 comlined.c
     153     405    4370 cx.c
     833    2066   20769 exec.c
     135     336    3620 file.c
      43     154    2108 global.c
     328     833    8414 hash.c
     403    1771   11697 header.h
     231     628    6230 hist.c
     438     955   10358 job.c
     955    2405   23182 main.c
    1378    3449   31197 meta.c
     498    1347   12874 parse.c
     580    1402   13445 var.c

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) (09/16/89)

I've had trouble applying the final set of patches to clam for:
Makefiledif    builtin1.cdif  comlined.cdif  meta.cdif
READMEdif      clex.cdif      main.cdif

I applied all the other diffs with no problems (my wc match the posted
numbers).

I'm running patch:
$Header: patch.c,v 2.0 86/09/17 15:37:32 lwall Exp $
Patch level: 0
on a sun386i.

Patch says things like:
mlsun% patch <main.cdif
Hmm...  Looks like a new-style context diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|*** ../Clam/main.c     Tue Sep 12 21:42:35 1989
|--- main.c     Wed Sep 13 12:21:33 1989
--------------------------
Patching file main.c using Plan A...
Assertion failed: file "pch.c", line 638
mlsun% patch <meta.cdif
Hmm...  Looks like a new-style context diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|*** ../Clam/meta.c     Tue Sep 12 21:42:35 1989
|--- meta.c     Wed Sep 13 12:21:34 1989
--------------------------
Patching file meta.c using Plan A...
Assertion failed: file "pch.c", line 638

Can anyone explain to me what's going on?  Also if someone can shar and
mail me these files (with patches applied) or point me to where I can snarf
them off the Arpa Internet, I'd be most grateful.

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:  hplabs!arisia!leisner

mjs@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Mike Scheutzow) (09/19/89)

> Article 2768 of comp.os.minix:
> From: Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty)
> I've had trouble applying the final set of patches to clam for:
> Makefiledif    builtin1.cdif  comlined.cdif  meta.cdif
> READMEdif      clex.cdif      main.cdif

I applied these patches this weekend, and had to use -l (elle) so that
whitespace differences would be ignored.  I'm running minix-pc 1.3.

> mlsun% patch <main.cdif

I don't know if it matters, but my command lines look like:

  mjs: patch -l clex.c clex.cdif

> I'm running patch... on a sun386i.

Out of curiosity, with which Operating System?

Mike
att!cbnewsl!mjs

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (09/19/89)

In article <24162@louie.udel.EDU>, Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) writes:

> I'm running patch:
> $Header: patch.c,v 2.0 86/09/17 15:37:32 lwall Exp $
> Patch level: 0
> on a sun386i.

Your patch program is years and 12 patch levels out of date. This
may account for some of the problems.

Can you FTP to get a current patch?

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>