[comp.os.minix] Amsterdam Compiler Kit

jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com (Jim Burnes) (09/19/89)

Message to Andrew Tannebaum (sp?):

Where can I get a hold of the Amsterdam Compiler Kit and would it be usefull
in making a 286 protected mode C compiler?  I was thinking of using Gnu C, but
that apparently doesnt like 286's.  I dont like INTEL sgemented architecture
myself, but sometimes you just need those PC compatibles.  Will ACK generate
large model codeocNV?  How will it work on non-Intel architecture?  I also
work on a Gould Concept/32 that is in desperate need of a C compiler (not to
mention an OS ;-)  ).  Also where can I find a 386 version of MINIX?
(I also think you wrote my PL/I book in college.  Is that possible?  Or was it
a data structures book?)
   Jim Burnes
.l.

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!jburnes
INET: jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/21/89)

In article <20054@gryphon.COM> jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com (Jim Burnes) writes:
>Message to Andrew Tannebaum (sp?):
>Where can I get a hold of the Amsterdam Compiler Kit and would it be usefull
>in making a 286 protected mode C compiler?
Call UniPress at (201) 985 8000.  I am not sure if it can be made to produce
286 code.  It would certainly require time and effort.  ACK supports linear
address spaces of whatever size you want.  The 386 compiler is being debugged now.

>(I also think you wrote my PL/I book in college.  Is that possible?
I don't recall ever writing a book on PL/I.  Usually I don't forget things
like that.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)