[comp.os.minix] How to behave like root

wsincc@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (09/20/89)

Hello World,

Recently I read in Byte about the book "Unix System
Administration" by Bruce Hunter and David Fiedler. It is
available in the Netherlands for f69, say $30.

I would like to know more about Administration "How to behave
like root" of the Unix (read Minix) box, which I have at home.

Is the book any good for this, or else what is it good for? Is it
worth buying or which book, covering Unix administration, is?

Thanks in advance. Met vriendelijke groeten,
Wim van Dorst, wsincc@tuews1.win.tue.nl

wallace@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Wallace) (09/21/89)

In article <913@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> wsincc@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) writes:

>Hello World,
>
>Recently I read in Byte about the book "Unix System
>Administration" by Bruce Hunter and David Fiedler. It is
>available in the Netherlands for f69, say $30.
>
>I would like to know more about Administration "How to behave
>like root" of the Unix (read Minix) box, which I have at home.

Rule Number 1.) Don't be superusr unless absolutely necessary!!!!

The future was yesterday, so, we've        Dr. Ralph W. Wallace
got to take a short cut and get going!!

USPS: Illinois Institute of Technology  TEL#: (312)567-3900
      Dept. of Computer Science         UUCP: wallace@iitmax.IIT.EDU
      10 W 31st. Street                 BITNET: CSWALLACE@IITVAX
      Chicago, Illinois  60616

dlawyer@balboa.eng.uci.edu (David Lawyer) (09/22/89)

If you`ve got backups, then one may be the superuser on Minix without
much worry.  The Hunter book is a few years old and newer books are
likely better:
1. Thomas, Rebecca: Unix Administration Guide for System V, l989
2. Nemeth, Evi: Unix System Administration Handbook, l989

Dave Lawyer