[comp.os.minix] Clam Scripts

jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com (Jim Burnes) (09/19/89)

Hi!

Am I mistaken that Clam scripts are not supported....no wait...Clam scripts
dont support flow control.  Doenst this limit Clam quite a bit?

J . Burnes

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!jburnes
INET: jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com

callum@gara.une.oz (Callum Gibson CCEN) (09/22/89)

From article <20058@gryphon.COM>, by jburnes@pnet02.gryphon.com (Jim Burnes):
> Am I mistaken that Clam scripts are not supported....no wait...Clam scripts
> dont support flow control.  Doenst this limit Clam quite a bit?

   Sorry, I haven't had time yet. It may even be preferable if you're
using Minix to leave this feature out anyway since it may take up too
much memory if compiled in. Warren and I figured that most people are
still going to use Bourne shell for writing real scripts, but it would
be handy for aliases and in the .clamrc and .login. Note that you've
got some control with && and || but I'm not sure these behave as sh and
csh. I just threw them in one day when I was bored.

    Callum

cs304pal@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Lloyd Parkes) (09/25/89)

In article <1174@gara.une.oz> callum@gara.une.oz (Callum Gibson CCEN) writes:

>   Sorry, I haven't had time yet. It may even be preferable if you're
>using Minix to leave this feature out anyway since it may take up too
>much memory if compiled in. Warren and I figured that most people are

I have been 'playing' with clam for a while now, and after the second
patch, asld runs out of memory. c'est le vie. Not to worry however, sudden
rush of brains to the head and I realise that several of the builtins
aren't extensions, but are fast replacements for programs on disk, e.g. cp
& ls. But, most Minix users have their root file system on a RAM disk
anyway, so we get no speed advantage. So I deleted them. At this point I
got some warnings from a colleague, 'watch what you delete', so I deleted
chdir. :-) Thank goodness I still had sh around.

					Lloyd

Quick, send your money to cs304pal@rata.vuw.ac.nz now!

If you think anyone believes what I have just said,
then you must be daft in the head!

callum@gara.une.oz (Callum Gibson CCEN) (09/26/89)

From article <1989Sep24.205115.24324@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, by cs304pal@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Lloyd Parkes):
| rush of brains to the head and I realise that several of the builtins
| aren't extensions, but are fast replacements for programs on disk, e.g. cp
| & ls. But, most Minix users have their root file system on a RAM disk
| anyway, so we get no speed advantage. So I deleted them. At this point I
| got some warnings from a colleague, 'watch what you delete', so I deleted
| chdir. :-) Thank goodness I still had sh around.
| If you think anyone believes what I have just said,
| then you must be daft in the head!

    You're right. I'd be interested to know how cp and ls got into Clam
as builtins! Maybe you're compiling all the utilities code into Clam :-)

    Callum.