[comp.os.minix] core dumps

dcd@tc.fluke.COM (David Dyck) (09/26/89)

Currently, when dump_core in mm/signal.c is called to write out
the core image for a process, only the memory segments are written out.

Unix V7 also wrote out the registers in the first 1024 bytes of the core
image as part of the systems per-user data for that process.

I think it would be good if future minix core dumps
would include the registers, etc. as part of the core dump.

Has anyone else started working on this yet? (or should I adopt this project?)
What do Minix/ST core dumps look like?

            David Dyck
    Domain: dcd@tc.fluke.COM

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/26/89)

In article <11340@fluke.COM> dcd@tc.fluke.COM (David Dyck) writes:
>I think it would be good if future minix core dumps
>would include the registers, etc. as part of the core dump.
>
>Has anyone else started working on this yet? (or should I adopt this project?)

If somebody wants to gather up the various debuggers that have been posted,
and make one reasonably useful debugger, I'm certainly willing to have the
kernel produce registers and other such information in the core file
wherever you want it.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)