[comp.os.minix] C-News on Minix?

HELMER%SDNET.BITNET@vm1.nodak.edu (Guy Helmer) (09/23/89)

Does anyone have C-News running on Minix?  I'm (finally) getting UUPC
compiled and I'm ready to get C-News up, so if anyone has patches or
hints, please send mail.  Thanks.
-- Guy Helmer                                  AT&T: (605) 256-5315
   Dakota State University Computing Services        (605) 256-6411
   BITNET: HELMER@SDNET

housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) (09/23/89)

In article <24690@louie.udel.EDU>, HELMER%SDNET (Guy Helmer) writes:
>Does anyone have C-News running on Minix?  I'm (finally) getting UUPC
>compiled and I'm ready to get C-News up, so if anyone has patches or
>hints, please send mail.  Thanks.
>-- Guy Helmer                                  AT&T: (605) 256-5315

	I'm working REALLY hard on it, but it's still not there yet.
Notable problems, in no particular order:

1) AWK. C News makes extensive use of AWK, and Minix doesn't really
have an acceptable version. I have ported GNU Awk version 1.02 (the
"old AWK" version) to Minix, and plan to post it Real Soon Now.
Note that it will require the floating point package.

2) fopen(file, "[rwa]+") gets used, and the old stdio can't handle it.
Earl Chew's stdio package should take care of this.

3) expr's colon operator gets used. (C news was one of the reasons my
replacement version got written.) There are minor problems with other
programs that mostly get used in shell scripts.

4) sh. This is the biggest problem of all. C news is largely written
in /bin/sh scripts, and the Minix version of sh doesn't hold together
very well under stress. Larry Wall's 'Configure' script and the C news
programs show this very well. In particular, '$'-variable expansion
and '\'-quoting don't work according to spec at all. The "." (source)
command is a disaster.  I have fixes for some of the problems, but
they're not ready yet.

5) ".o" files. This is a problem with porting almost anything to Minix.
Somebody, please, write an 'as' and 'ld'! (Preferably with simulated
virtual memory...)

6) memory. Since everything is written in 'sh'-scripts, you can easily
get things nested deeply enough that a system with small memory
will run out of memory pretty quickly - especially in a system without
the Protected Memory extensions.

7) The version of 'patch' distributed with Minix had problems coping
with some of the C news updates. Upgrading from Patch 2.0 patchlevel 4
to patchlevel 12 solves this problem.

8) expire makes minor use of floating point for date conversions.

	In short: it's a challenge, some help would be appreciated, and
as soon as it get done you will know about it. (And then we can start
flooding news.newsites :-)

-Peter S. Housel-	housel@ecn.purdue.edu		...!pur-ee!housel

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/23/89)

In article <15809@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) writes:

>1) AWK. C News makes extensive use of AWK, and Minix doesn't really
>have an acceptable version. I have ported GNU Awk version 1.02 (the
I now have bawk running.  I was going to wait until 1.4b before posting it,
but I will do it now.  Be wary of GNU because P-H will never allow that
in the distribution without a formal, legal contract from the copyright owner,
FSF, which they will never accept.

>2) fopen(file, "[rwa]+") gets used, and the old stdio can't handle it.
>Earl Chew's stdio package should take care of this.
Try to be careful.  Although I will almost certainly replace stdio for 2.0,
it is not yet clear which I will use.  There are several candidates.

>5) ".o" files. This is a problem with porting almost anything to Minix.
>Somebody, please, write an 'as' and 'ld'!
We have as and ld here.  It is a matter of finding time to port them. I
have hopes of getting them into 2.0

>7) The version of 'patch' distributed with Minix had problems coping
>with some of the C news updates. Upgrading from Patch 2.0 patchlevel 4
>to patchlevel 12 solves this problem.
Could you post the upgrades for patch relative to 1.3 please?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

cechew@bruce.OZ (Earl Chew) (09/25/89)

From article <3349@ast.cs.vu.nl>, by ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum):
> In article <15809@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) writes:
>>2) fopen(file, "[rwa]+") gets used, and the old stdio can't handle it.
>>Earl Chew's stdio package should take care of this.
> Try to be careful.  Although I will almost certainly replace stdio for 2.0,
> it is not yet clear which I will use.  There are several candidates.

It is not unreasonable to expect that if the use of the stdio does not rely on
`features' of a particular implementation, then it should work regardless of
which stdio is eventually adopted.

Note, that even with my stdio, a and a+ will not work properly when several
processes attempt to append simultaneously.

There are some small problems with the current version of my stdio. I have
changed it now to try to make it Posix/ANSI conformant. I haven't had much
feedback from the news group on the package. I presume those of you (yes, both
of you :-) who are using it haven't hit the bugs yet :-).

Earl

cechew@bruce.OZ (Earl Chew) (09/25/89)

From article <1547@bruce.OZ>, by cechew@bruce.OZ (Earl Chew):
> Note, that even with my stdio, a and a+ will not work properly when several
> processes attempt to append simultaneously.

Oops, what I meant to write was that there is no guarantee that a and a+ will
work properly when several processes attempt to append to the same file. This
problem should go away when Simon Poole's patches go in (3 argument opens).

Earl

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (09/26/89)

In article <3349@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>In article <15809@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> housel@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Peter S. Housel) writes:
>>
>>1) AWK. C News makes extensive use of AWK, and Minix doesn't really
>>have an acceptable version. I have ported GNU Awk version 1.02 (the
>I now have bawk running.  I was going to wait until 1.4b before posting it,
>but I will do it now.  Be wary of GNU because P-H will never allow that
>in the distribution without a formal, legal contract from the copyright owner,
>FSF, which they will never accept.

Which should not keep *us* from using GNU products. GNU products are
in general of a very high quality, and GNU AWK is a very fine product
indeed. If P-H bails out near GNU AWK (:-), shame on them!

Its really silly if the GNU and MINIX efforts are going to work
against each other, instead of cooperating (yes, I know that the RMS
and AST disagree in many ways, not the least of which is the proper
amount of memory to use for a given task :-).

/Lars
--
Copyright 1989 Lars Fischer; you can redistribute only if your recipients can.
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk, {...}!mcvax!iesd!fischer

Why is it that some people insists on reinventing Square Wheels?
			- Mike O'Dell (on netnews)

Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) (09/26/89)

Lars Fisher (fischer@iesd.auc.dk) sez:
[
Which should not keep *us* from using GNU products. GNU products are
in general of a very high quality, and GNU AWK is a very fine product
indeed. If P-H bails out near GNU AWK (:-), shame on them!

Its really silly if the GNU and MINIX efforts are going to work
against each other, instead of cooperating (yes, I know that the RMS
and AST disagree in many ways, not the least of which is the proper
amount of memory to use for a given task :-).

]

I agree totally with Lars.  I don't understand what the problem is with P-H
-- the GPL (Gnu Public License) seems clear enough as far as distribution
requirements go.

The GNU tools tend to be bigger than the equivalent Minix tools but they
work and they're of exceedingly high quality (I use them on Sun386i, Sun/4
and the ones that fit under Ms/Dos).

I can't believe there isn't a reasonable way for P-H and FSF to work
something out.  I remember the initial version of Bawk many years ago -- I
couldn't get it to do anything.

I really think the FSF tools would enhance Minix as a system.

The alternative is going to be a plethora of versions of programs (which
I'm beginning to see).

A large percentage of GNU tools come with excellent documentation (I
learned awk from the gawk manual, the gnu make document is great).  But
there's a price -- 100 page manuals in machine readable format take up
space.

marty
ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
GV:  leisner.henr
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:  hplabs!arisia!leisner

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/27/89)

In article <24898@louie.udel.EDU> Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) writes:
>I agree totally with Lars.  I don't understand what the problem is with P-H
>-- the GPL (Gnu Public License) seems clear enough as far as distribution
>requirements go.

P-H has real lawyers, not amateur net lawyers.  When they see that something
is copyrighted by a third party, they want a clear legal release that will
stand up in court in the event that they get sued for copyright infringement.
Courts just don't understand funny notices in programs.  P-H has a form,
devised by its lawyers, which all of its authors are required to use when
they use copyrighted material.  In most cases, the author sends the form
to the copyright owner, who either signs it and sends it back, or says that
it is prepared to sign it upon payment of some fee.  From what I know of FSF
they are not about to sign a form devised by P-H's lawyers.

On the other hand, we just had a discussion about "Supplementary disks".
I would certainly have no objection to somebody porting the GNU software
to MINIX and preparing the appropriate number of disks containing them as
MINIX file systems, for example (or tar, or whatever).  As long as the
person or organization distributing them obeyed the GNU rules and was
prepared to incur the legal risk, that would seem to be ok.  I will continue
to collect software that I write, PD software, and copyrighted software
from others from whom the legal authorization is clear.  There is a MINIX
Centre in the U.K. that might do this for Europe if they want to, and perhaps
a similar thing can be set up in the U.S.  There is, incidentally, considerable
demand for access to comp.os.minix from people who have modems but are not
on USENET.  Such a cencould provide that access by storing comp.os.minix
on a disk accessible via FIDO, etc., possibly charging for access at some
reasonable rate.

Comments?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (09/27/89)

In article <24898@louie.udel.EDU>, Leisner.Henr@xerox.com (marty) writes:
> Lars Fisher (fischer@iesd.auc.dk) sez:
> [
> Which should not keep *us* from using GNU products. GNU products are
> in general of a very high quality, and GNU AWK is a very fine product
> indeed. If P-H bails out near GNU AWK (:-), shame on them!

This is true, or at least I believe it to be, don't some companies (NeXT?
Sun?) ship some FSF software with their systems?  As I understand it, the
public license prohibits P-H from using GCC or BISON to build software
not distributed in source form (that is, the C compiler, unless you consider
the ACK output to be source ;^), but the sources to emacs (yuk, yuk, yuk), AWK
and so forth should be no problem.  P-H would just have to disclaim copyright
control over that part of the distribution -- say, put it on an seperate set
of diskettes to make housekeeping easier.  It does add to the "bulk" problem,
though.

> . . .

> ]

> I agree totally with Lars.  I don't understand what the problem is with P-H
> -- the GPL (Gnu Public License) seems clear enough as far as distribution
> requirements go.
>
> The GNU tools tend to be bigger than the equivalent Minix tools but they
> work and they're of exceedingly high quality (I use them on Sun386i, Sun/4
> and the ones that fit under Ms/Dos).

I would agree, if you leave out the debugger and make (can't get either to
work RIGHT under 386/ix -- make refuses to do anything with the gnu-emacs
make file!).

> I can't believe there isn't a reasonable way for P-H and FSF to work
> something out.  I remember the initial version of Bawk many years ago -- I
> couldn't get it to do anything.

Really, I have stopped giving out any changes I make to FSF products because
there is one major problem with doing so -- the junior lawyers on the circuit
will distroy you if you do anything wrong (inadvertently) or if you do
anything they disagree with.  I posted a set of minor changes to gnu-grep
early this year (for MSDOS) as a set of cdiffs, and later, in response to
requests from several poeple, I posted the executable.

For weeks, I was berated for not posting the full source (a deliberate
decision: the patches were 300-400 lines, the source is at least 10 times
that), and for not posting the COPYING file with my patches and executables
(inadvertent omission).  I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!  The threat of jail is
nowhere near as fearful as that of flamage ;^)!!!

> The alternative is going to be a plethora of versions of programs (which
> I'm beginning to see).

Perhaps, but they may really be better.  The old v7_make and its successors
seem much more functional than gnumake 3.05 (and is much smaller, too).  I
would be glad to post it, when I find out why it doesn't run the gnuemacs
makefile either!

> A large percentage of GNU tools come with excellent documentation (I
> learned awk from the gawk manual, the gnu make document is great).  But
> there's a price -- 100 page manuals in machine readable format take up
> space.

And take my comments about gnumake with a grain of salt -- I am really hard
on some programs, and so is Stallman's emacs!

> marty
> ARPA:	leisner.henr@xerox.com
> GV:  leisner.henr
> NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
> UUCP:  hplabs!arisia!leisner

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us