[comp.os.minix] minix problems - I'm back

mlewis@unocss.UUCP (Marcus S. Lewis) (09/29/89)

My buddy who got me started with Minix can't use his printer.  It works
fine under MSDOS, but he gets consistent "printer not ready" errors when
he tries to print anything.  What is Minix doing (or not) that DOS is
doing differently? How do we patch it without a printer handy?

BTW, many thanks to those who responded to my request for information
about RLL winchester controllers.  To both of you gentlemen: I can't
respond to your mail - our mailer's odd that way.  If you send a bang
path to uunet I can get back to you.  Otherwise, go ahead and send the
stuff you offered, and I will deal with it with appreciation.

Marc

Na khuya mne ehto gavno?              |  Internet: cs057@zeus.unl.edu
                   preferred machine->|  UUCP:     uunet!btni!unocss!mlewis

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/30/89)

In article <1856@unocss.UUCP> mlewis@unocss.UUCP (Marcus S. Lewis) writes:

>My buddy who got me started with Minix can't use his printer.  It works
>fine under MSDOS, but he gets consistent "printer not ready" errors when
>he tries to print anything.  What is Minix doing

Chances are your printer is located at a different I/O port address than
MINIX expects.  MINIX thinks that the printer port is determined by the
presence/absence of a color display, which is indeed true for genuine IBM
gear, but not for all clones.  Look at the printer driver and hard code
the proper port into it.

This problem has been fixed in recent versions.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)