[net.unix-wizards] PIC graphics package

mo@LBL-UNIX@sri-unix (06/06/82)

From: mo at LBL-UNIX (Mike O'Dell [system])
Date: 26 May 1982 10:50:36-PDT
PIC and IDEAL are both part of the new Device-independent Troff
distribution availble from AT&T.
	-Mike

mullen@NRL-CSS@sri-unix (06/27/82)

Date: 11 Jun 1982 12:24:38-EDT
Can we have more details about this new device-independent Troff
distribution from AT&T?  E.g., capabilities, licensing, contact
at AT&T?

Bill@sri-unix (07/20/82)

Date: 24 Jun 1982 at 1026-CDT
In regard to your query about device-independent troff, it is now
available from AT&T. It comes with filters that drive Mergenthaler
202s, APS-5s, CAT4s and CAT8s, Tektronix 4014s, and Canon laser
printers. It also includes two graphic languages (PIC and IDEAL)
that can be used in conjunction with troff or directly. The new
troff permits up to 128 different sizes and 256 fonts and arbitrary
character sets. New EQN, TBL, and REFER preprocessors are included
as well as several macro packages. It requires separate I/D space.
Available now from AT&T (919) 697-5000. Price is $400 for educational
licenses and any number of CPUs can be licensed under a single
agreement. Additional agreements are $200. Turnaround time is
rumored to be 5 weeks.

-------

Robert@sri-unix (07/29/82)

Date:     24 Jun 82 11:29:43-EDT (Thu)
According to a one page Bell document ("Typesetter-Independent TROFF"),
the distribution consists of updated versions of TROFF, EQN, TBL, REFER,
and macro packages, and the PIC and IDEAL graphics languages.  Contact
	AT&T Patent Licensing
	PO Box 25000
	Greensboro, NC  24720
	(919) 697-2078 or 3442
"The price is reputed to be $4000 for a commercial licence and $300 for
academic, but check before sending money."