From: LISTSERV@finhutc.bitnet
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 89 23:29:35 EET
Subject:      Message
To: ast@cs.vu.nl

You are not authorized to mail to list MINIX-L.
I guess that's it for me.  Bye.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (09/29/89)

Andy, you're kidding, right??  You're getting out to the Usenet just fine.
Let the bitnet types stew in their own juices, say I.

			Ross

HELMER%SDNET.BITNET@vm1.nodak.edu (Guy Helmer) (09/29/89)

>Andy, you're kidding, right??  You're getting out to the Usenet just fine.
>Let the bitnet types stew in their own juices, say I.
>
>			Ross

Give us BITNET types a break.  Some of us live out in places Usenet
doesn't reach yet, and BITNET is the only contact we have to the
rest of the universe.  :-)

-
-- Guy Helmer                                  AT&T: (605) 256-5315
   Dakota State University Computing Services        (605) 256-6411
   BITNET: HELMER@SDNET

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (09/30/89)

In article <1127@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:

>Andy, you're kidding, right??  You're getting out to the Usenet just fine.
>Let the bitnet types stew in their own juices, say I.

That remark was sort of a joke.  I think most people understood that.  I
sent a message to a person in Berlin once, and for two weeks afterward I
received about 20 messages per day informing me that that obscure node in
Germany was overloaded.  I can live with one discrete remark from ND.
There is a famous ARPANET war story about the time one of the IMPs had
a dead memory bank and decided it had zero delay to all other IMPs.  Within
five seconds the routing algorithm decided to send all traffic in the
entire ARPANET to that IMP.  The moral of the story is: when a computer
tells you something that violates all common sense, take it with a metric
ton of salt.

As to bitnet, while emotionally I agree with you, the individuals on bitnet
are usually not responsible for the fact that their university administration
has some big IBM behemoth that talks bitnet.  Our university has a big
IBM monstrosity too, and they are also on bitnet.  I thank my lucky stars
that we also have a USENET feed.  But for the grace of God I'd be stuck on
bitnet too.  Telling the university to get rid of the IBM monstrosity and
bitnet with it just causes them to take it away and come back with a
bigger one.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (10/02/89)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>In article <1127@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
>>Let the bitnet types stew in their own juices, say I.
>That remark was sort of a joke.  I think most people understood that.  I
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Twelve thousand apologies to the net in general.  I forgot to write

after my little rib @ the bitnet people.  I guess `that remark was
sort of a joke' was too obvious (i.e., my response was a joke, too).
We are getting a bitnet feed to athabascau.ca soon (from
ualtavm.bitnet, I hope) and as network adminstrator I am looking forward
to the improved connectivity.  I am also worrying about the improved
connectivity (note: see smileys above. tnx).

	Ross