[comp.os.minix] Thanks for the turn-on

hadji@dasys1.UUCP (Toby A David) (10/01/89)

First of all I'd like to thank you guys for the fast responses. I am
new to the Net, and therefore may still have glitches in my postings
etc. I also subscribe to comp.unix.xenix, since I run SCO Xenix 286.
A while ago I had a major SCO hardware compatiblity problem, and
posted a cry for help, all I got, was 1 response, where as you guys
could`nt be friendlier. Thanks...

I got the AT 1.3 ver from PH and installed it on a 300 Cyl partition
of a 1024 cyl 71 meg Miniscribe with a WD1006 1:1 interleave Controller.
So far all is well. This is a great little package, ast has done a hell
of a job. Since I've only had the package for a few hours,
I'm sure that the next few questions would not be asked in a few days
from now, but here goes anyway.

A.. Since I have 3 meg of memory, what is the best way of making full
use of it (kernel/process) ?. I did creat a Hard Drive hd3 partition
large enough to hold a few root file systems, but when the boot disk
loaded the hd3 into Ram, it said not enough room, and loaded the regular
117 size into the 640k. Checking the hd3 size showed as being the size
of the root fs floppy.

B.. Is there a easy for me to convert my AT version to XT including
360 install disks, or do I also have to buy the XT version?

C.. Not having ftp access, dare I ask for someone to Email me the actual
files or another way to get..

 Bruce Evans' TTY driver and his protect mode upgrade kit.
 The subset of vi called Stevie.
 UUPC

 Thanks again.. Toby A. David

--
Toby A David
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/03/89)

In article <10825@dasys1.UUCP> hadji@dasys1.UUCP (Toby A David) writes:
>A.. Since I have 3 meg of memory, what is the best way of making full
>use of it (kernel/process) ?.
The only way under 1.3 is to use 512K or 640K as program memory and the
rest as RAM disk.  On partition 3 of your HD create a MINIX file system
with mkfs of size 3M - {512K | 640K}.  Put files on it.  When booting,
leave the boot diskette in the drive when you hit =.  The partition 3
will be copied to the RAM disk as your root device.  Certainly put /bin,
/lib, and /dev there.  To create /dev, you need to mkfs /dev/hd3 with a
prototype file (see the book, page 398 for an example).

With V1.4b, to be posted this Fall, you will have other options.

>B.. Is there a easy for me to convert my AT version to XT including
>360 install disks, or do I also have to buy the XT version?
You don't need the XT version.  The only real difference is which hard
disk driver is present in the boot diskette.  If the one you have now
works, don't change it.  You can read or write 360K or 1.2M diskettes
with either the AT or XT version.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)