[comp.os.minix] User program debuggers for i8088

walls@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Monty Walls) (09/30/89)

	Having been examining building a symbolic debugger for PC
minix I have noticed some difficulties.  So I'm tossing out somethings
I've noticed, to see if anybody else had a better idea
(I do have PC minix compiler sources).

	Problems:
		a) no debugging info from PC compiler
			1) no line number information from PC compiler.
			2) no local variable information.
		b) no dump of proc areas in core dumps.
		c) ptrace(I am aware of the Atari version).
		d) different struct exec layout on ATARI vs PC.

	Solutions:
		a) you lose.
			1) post processor of .s source files to generate line
			   number information from -l cem option (sloppy
			   but does work). Still need to patch 'ast' or
			   'asld' to insert line numbers into the load module.
			2) tough luck, no way arround this.
		b) modify mm to dump a composite proc table entry as a
		   header for a core dump.
		c) use the Atari version
		d) use the a.out layout for v7 unix.

I would like to here some commentary on this.

-Monty Walls

Monty Walls
Work:						Home:
	MIS Division, Tech. Support			2224 Houston Apt #8
	Oklahoma Tax Commission				Norman, OK, 73701
	2501 N. Lincoln					USA
	OKC, OK, 73194 					Phone - 405-364-5123
	USA						uucp - attctc!walls
	Phone - 405-521-4300

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/03/89)

In article <9536@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> walls@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Monty Walls) writes:
>		a) no debugging info from PC compiler
>			1) no line number information from PC compiler.
This might be feasible.
>			2) no local variable information.
>		b) no dump of proc areas in core dumps.
Should be fairly easy to add if you can figure out what you want.
>		c) ptrace(I am aware of the Atari version).
V1.4b has ptrace, courtesy of Bruce Evans
>		d) different struct exec layout on ATARI vs PC.
Does POSIX say anything about this?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

mjs@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Mike Scheutzow) (10/04/89)

> Article 2963 of comp.os.minix:
> Having been examining building a symbolic debugger for PC
> minix I have noticed some difficulties.
> Monty Walls

Do you have *any* debugger for minix-pc?  I've seen several go by on the
net, but none was appropriate (Bruce Evan's debugger which had to
be compiled into the kernel and one or two for the atari-st.)

For a first cut, I'd be happy with a ms-dos "debug"-type program that
could be run as a user process.  I think that this sub-set of functionality
would be required before tackling a symbolic debugger in the first place.

Having given this only 30 seconds of thought, the 64K data segment will be
a problem.  This appears to be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

Is anything available?

Mike S.
att!cbnewsl!mjs