[comp.os.minix] Problems with Clam on System V

greyham@hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney) (09/27/89)

I know it's not exactly related to Minix; but has anyone had any luck getting
Clam to run under System-V?. After #ifdef'ing out the tchars structure
definition on line 172 of exec.c, it compiles & links ok..... but then the
executable dumps core as soon as you run it.

Has anyone tried running it on System-V with success?. I'm using Interactive
386/ix....

						Greyham.

--
/*  Greyham Stoney:                            Australia: (02) 428 6476  *
 *     greyham@hades.oz  - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove, Sydney, Oz.      *

gis@datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) (09/30/89)

In article <443@hades.OZ> greyham@hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney) writes:
>I know it's not exactly related to Minix; but has anyone had any luck getting
>Clam to run under System-V?. After #ifdef'ing out the tchars structure
>definition on line 172 of exec.c, it compiles & links ok..... but then the
>executable dumps core as soon as you run it.
>
>Has anyone tried running it on System-V with success?. I'm using Interactive
>386/ix....

Yes, I've compiled and run clam our System V.2.1 system (VAX 11/750).  The
core dump problem we have is that clam calls free() with a NULL pointer and the
malloc package core dumps - no checking.  Solution?  Well, I've got the
System V.2 sources, so free was modified.  If not, you will probably have
to change all the calls to free to check for a null pointer.  Although, I
came across an interesting problem with the perl 3.0 gamma sources.  If you
use AT&T malloc, perl crashes on some tests.  When you use Larry Wall's
malloc - no problem.  I haven't looked at this yet.  Hope this helps

Regards,

Ian Stewartson
Data Logic Ltd, Queens House, Greenhill Way, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 1YR, UK.
(Phone) +44 1 863 0383 (Telex) 888103 (Fax) +44 1 861 2010
	+44 81 863 0383 after May 1990.
(Network) gis@datlog.co.uk or ukc!datlog!gis

callum@gara.une.oz (Callum Gibson CCEN) (10/05/89)

From article <443@hades.OZ>, by greyham@hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney):
> I know it's not exactly related to Minix; but has anyone had any luck getting
> Clam to run under System-V?. After #ifdef'ing out the tchars structure
> definition on line 172 of exec.c, it compiles & links ok..... but then the
> executable dumps core as soon as you run it.

I've replied to this privately also. This bug is caused by freeing NULL
pointers and is fixed in the latest patch (#3 really #2 clam 1.3.2).

    Callum