[comp.os.minix] Mounting on /tmp

wsincc@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (10/06/89)

Hello *,

Small question:
How come I can't mount a disk(partition) on /tmp, but can on any
other empty directory I want?

Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim van Dorst
wsincc@tuerc3.urc.tue.nl

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/07/89)

In article <959@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl>, wsincc@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) writes:
 >How come I can't mount a disk(partition) on /tmp, but can on any
 >other empty directory I want?

You can mount a filesystem on /tmp.  The only problem is, when /etc/rc
forks off a copy of /etc/update, /etc/update keeps /tmp busy all the
time.  There are two things you can do:

        1. Mount /tmp from /etc/rc before you start up /etc/update.
        2. Kill /etc/update (use F1 to figure out the PID), mount /tmp,
           and then reinvoke /etc/update.

You can mount /tmp; you just can't do it while /etc/update is running.

(Note that it shouldn't make any difference whether or not the directory
is empty; the only side effect of an empty directory is the fact that
you won't be able to access the previous contents while you have a
filesystem mounted on it.)

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/07/89)

In article <959@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> wsincc@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) writes:
>How come I can't mount a disk(partition) on /tmp, but can on any
>other empty directory I want?

It is subtle.  The update program started from /etc/rc opens /tmp and
keeps it open forever.  This forces the inode to be in core all the time,
thus speeding up references to /tmp and making mounting impossible.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)