[comp.os.minix] Hardware prices -- Disks + 80386SX & Minix 2.0

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (10/07/89)

In article <283@nikhefh.nikhef.nl>, n62@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Klamer Schutte) writes:
> In article <3540@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

> >I think that the number
> >of floppy-only users is rapidly decreasing, as hard disks keep coming down
> >in price.
>
> 	Are they?

OK, I just looked at some current prices:

      20 MB 65ms Seagate   US$196
      66 MB 23ms Toshiba   US$400
      80 MB 28ms Seagate   US$546

That's down _a_lot_ in a year or so.

You can't pick a single vendor whose prices are out of line to use
as a basis for arguing against this. If all vendors prices are higher
there maybe you should be attacking that problem (importer rip-off
or government manipulation?)

I also just saw an announcement (not an ad) for a 386sx based
replacement motherboard for AT class machines for US$454.
Whether this is worthwhile with 386dx motherboards going for
US$750 or so is arguable.

Then there is the lowest price I have seen on 386 architecture in
a ready-to-run system:

      ECI 386SX
      16MHz cpu 80386SX
      1MB RAM Std (expands to 4MB on board)
      6 16-bit + 2 8-bit slots
      80387SX socket
      1:1 interleave HD/FD ctrlr
      40MB 28ms Hard disk
      1.2MB floppy drive
      Monochrome monitor & card with parallel port
      AT style case, 220W power supply
      101 key keyboard

      MS DOS 4.01 included

      US$1250

      Add 2400 bps modem US$99

      Only missing a serial port card as far as I see

Yes, the prices are coming down. The box above is chaeper than
my 640k 8088 XT clone with 20MB hard disk was (4? years ago) and
less than a 10MHz 80286 with a 30MB disk was 2 years ago.

As I had previously pointed out (and did I get mail!) you can now
convert an XT type machine to 386 operation for about US$600
(includes 1MB of 32bit wide memory).

That's today. What do you think will happen to these prices when
486s are generally available? Is it really worth while to target
development of anything which won't be out this year for a less
capable architecture than the 386?

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (10/10/89)

In article <2473@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, root@cca.ucsf.edu (Thos Sumner) writes:

> I also just saw an announcement (not an ad) for a 386sx based
> replacement motherboard for AT class machines for US$454.
> Whether this is worthwhile with 386dx motherboards going for
> US$750 or so is arguable.

I have been receiving queries about my reference to "386dx" in the

The Intel 80386dx or iapx386dx or ... is the version of the standard
(32 bit data path) 386 which contains the fix for the bug in handling
DMA + 387 + Interrupt situations. I believe it also contains a few other
fixes.  It is later than the double sigma revision.

I believe all the 33MHz chips and maybe all the 25MHz chips are dx's
-- I haven't seen any that weren't.