[comp.os.minix] patch to uuencode.c

hall@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert R. Hall) (10/14/89)

This patch substitutes '`' character (0x60) for the space
charater (0x20) in the output of uuencode.  This is the
way uuencode on the Navy's Unix system does it.  If you are
current and already have Terence Holm's patch to uudecode,
then this change is still compatible with uudecode.

Robert R. Hall
hall@nosc.mil

------------------------   uuencode.c.cdif  -----------------
begin 666 uuencode.sh.Z
M'YV-9<:@>0,"#X@6(.K4*>-FS!LR95R,D4@FC8(Y9<B`./'""Y87<UZ(/`'"
M1\*%#1]&G#BF(@@>/#:^.*$`BXJ;(%[4F2/GA9T8+F:0>>&P39LP;LB$5,C0
M(42)"8S(20/"R1L[(&+$``'CA@X:-'34D)$U!PX<-5NH/=E4)52I5)^,H9-U
M1E:O,KS.P%$61XZ:-P,+'JP",$ZM+&+P%5P3!(C&(,K@H5-&CAL01I(P*0)"
MA9DW<!BB2+$#<LT0.56`*.)D"(@T<T#005,&A)@P<]*,R0I"8!@Y8>96CIRR
MHILS(,S4:4@GS9O+=`@>75,[3&\TOT'`F>JF^?'.+TZ#&`'13!HWM5D/03$F
M!0@4\-N#,,'UQ@WW*S9N3&$:B^.CYZ'PVQECL`#"@';PY]]UV=V$8&E8J(40
M8GD=)&%_CDE&F668:<:99Z")1EI_J/DF!W%CL*=@B=B=.`:$J.TAW@NJ-?5:
M;+/5=EMNNVUE8G`;HOC0><@IQYQST$D7!G4',GCB=N=YAYP*X6&!FF,F7@?C
M8U8Z=AT(/;P7GWOT=74?"/F1=,*(73J6AAGO"01FF&JZ)R>=8)RPI6-RE$%'
M'9:QAP:;J/4A'H8@`.B&@'(0:""""F+98F<J/&@889A>"H(-,+!@@PV4W@19
M`I^=B,(..[@GXX())$`C;RC4`8=L;[A'0PU.`CD<&^?51N6H"5P6IAERH'">
M@6+488:!MQ(*0JMPU$%'BNJAX$8*!KXA+9N.`5OJ>VGT`,,.K_'@!KE4K1#F
M#)$^VZJV=$"4H@G)FK%%&EUDNRV$$FZ:`PLWX"IA"Z-^>VJJ(*SJ6*NO;A7K
MK-'9BNN/PIW(*WK@`2ML<L4>:YNRS-;@++32IMB4M=B"`"^W7"Y,ZANFACMN
MN>>^AN:Z[;::`+SRHD"OLO?FJ_*^EV(ZF*8XT,!"#G8QQNH89(6)@@JSP@0"
M#61RQ2D(?+P'QQ8Q=%&225C/QU4,-T"X\!AV2?UUV"_%)$/67='`M==;R""V
M#R;90/<,:C\[AMUA?JVWV69NF4"TTZ)0[1@QI&S&R(Q3VQI[<QLXN>*5.WXY
MVY)37K+GZPT>>N"&+@C9J\3J``*O3/89AD;)TC5'O,YE'.%:3"<&`UD#CPHU
MF.]1'??5=&_=-0IO[TTVW6@'G@#;Q#,/MMA6SXWX#78O;[CSF_XM_>#$?[]]
MVN(M/OK)D)^>?N?L9YZ<Z(VSSZ[F])O<$'M8XX\ZHJR3@^M@5QO9T4Y:(+A=
&10CRJ_``
`
end

In article <1670@cod.NOSC.MIL> hall@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert R. Hall) writes:
>This patch substitutes '`' character (0x60) for the space
>charater (0x20) in the output of uuencode...

However, this in turn introduces another problem:  backquote is one of
those oddball characters that can get mangled when Bitnet translates to
and from EBCDIC.  If you really want something that is absolutely,
positively Bitnet-proof, because it was designed that way by people
familiar with Bitnet, I'd recommend the Waterloo bencode/bdecode programs
shipped with C News.  They've been used to pass a good many megabytes
of compressed news over Bitnet.  The encoding includes a byte count and
a CRC, so that any errors that do happen get detected.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (10/15/89)

In article <1989Oct14.233821.7000@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>I'd recommend the Waterloo bencode/bdecode programs

Some people have pointed out that most usenet links compress anyway, so
my compressing really doesn't do much, except make the postings look more
modest.  There is this thing called Dumas uuencode that I have heard about,
said to be good for bitnet.  I am not sure.

Conclusion: I am not really sure what to do now.  Could somebody tell me
more about this Dumas thing and bitnet?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

mjs@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Mike Scheutzow) (10/17/89)

> Article 3217 of comp.os.minix:
>
> This patch substitutes '`' character (0x60) for the space
> charater (0x20) in the output of uuencode.  This is the
> way uuencode on the Navy's Unix system does it.  If you are
> current and already have Terence Holm's patch to uudecode,
> then this change is still compatible with uudecode.

Is someone trying to introduce a change to uuencode/uudecode which is
going to break several years of archived net articles?  Does this mean
that I need to keep different versions of uudecode, depending on when
the file was created?  (I've never noticed a mechanism for uudecode
to decide what version of uuencode encrypted the data.)

Someone please reassure me.  Keeping bitnet happy is one thing, but
adding complications to *my* life is just plain unreasonable. :-)

Mike S.
att!cbnewsl!mjs