[net.unix-wizards] WARNING: DH/DM Rev E Breaks UNIX

Michael@sri-unix (07/30/82)

Date:     29 Jun 82 1:46:30-EDT (Tue)
>From unc!duke!harpo!utah-cs!lepreau Thu Jun 17 17:46:08 1982
Subject: Able DH/DM rev E breaks modem control on 11s
Newsgroups: net.periphs

Now I hate to say anything bad about Able 'cause they've got such good
products and give such great service.  They made a slight slip-up here,
however.  The latest ucode rev (E) of the Able dh/dm breaks Unix modem
control on pdp-11 Unibus's.  D is fine, as is E on the Vax 750.
Evidently they did some diddling to be compatible with the new DEC dmf32
or something like that, which causes the DONE bit to be read-only during
a short window, so the driver doesn't always successfully re-enable
scan. As for more detail, I don't have Able's letters in front of me,
and it was several sleepy nights ago, and who cares we just swapped with
a D board.  You can still buy D, no problem, and E has nothing necessary.
I expect that the driver could be fixed w/o too much trouble.
 -jay lepreau