[comp.os.minix] Hard disk partitioning problems on zenith Z150 HELP!!

barbour@spot.colorado.EDU (BARBOUR JIM) (10/21/89)

I am trying to setup a lab of zenith Z150 XT class machines.  I want very
much to be able to partition our 20 MB hard drives so that I can load the
root file system into /dev/hd3

I am having these problems:

1.  mkfs /dev/hd0 20000 # twenty-thousand
       fails.

2.  I can set up partitions from 0 to 150, 151 - 250, 251 - 260 and
    mkfs /dev/hd1 5000.  However, mkfs /dev/hd2 3000 fails with several
    "Read: Unrecoverable disk error at block X"
    messages.

    Unfortunately, I do not know how many cylinders the disks have or anything
    else about their geometry.  I can make 10 MB file systems on them though.

Any suggestions from anyone?  PLEASE?????

Jim Barbour

stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) (10/22/89)

In article <13026@boulder.Colorado.EDU> barbour@spot.colorado.EDU (BARBOUR JIM) writes:
>[stuff deleted] I want very
>much to be able to partition our 20 MB hard drives so that I can load the
>root file system into /dev/hd3
>
>I am having these problems:
>
>1.  mkfs /dev/hd0 20000 # twenty-thousand
>       fails.
I don't think that you can mkfs /dev/hd0.  Why do you want to do this
if /dev/hd3 is the target disk for the root file system?

INET stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
UUCP {backbone}!dftsrv!iris613!stailey